Applications are invited for the GIS Internship Opportunity (Sustainable Cities & Transport) at WRI.
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development.
WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
The GIS Intern will be a key member of WRI India’s Ross Centre for Sustainable Cities, Road Safety and Urban Transport team and will work on a variety of data driven analysis across our core practice areas, leveraging data, information and technical expertise to make informed interventions to enhance road safety.
By transforming data into actionable insights and solutions, they aim to assist our stakeholders to design solutions that enable sustainable city growth. The role involves conducting site studies, mapping and documentation, coordination for primary & secondary surveys, developing cost & quantity estimates etc. for on-going projects. The GIS intern will also support the team in ongoing projects by co-designing tasks & preparing implementation plans.
Research & Analysis (70%)
- Conduct data exploration, quantitative research and provide customized analytical solutions and insights to meet project requirements
- Work with project teams to assess and organize complex data assets from a variety of sources for spatial modeling
- Advise staff and partners on geospatial analyses and visualizations on request
- Contribute to written outputs, including peer-reviewed articles, WRI working papers, and blog posts
Technical Support & Outreach (30%)
- Develop data visualization dashboards, interactive web-maps, storyboards that help in communicating complex data and insights into captivating visual outputs
- Prepare professional visualizations to be leveraged in presentations, publications, and online platforms
Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Civil Engineering, Architecture or other related fields, Master’s degree in Urban Planning or Urban Design.
0-1 year of relevant work experience in the Urban Planning and Design filed with working experience of GIS.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and power point presentation.
- Proficiency in GIS software including ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 10.x, ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, Quantum GIS, MapInfo or similar
- Experience in spatial analysis and modeling (e.g., use of ArcGIS Spatial Analyst tools, or equivalent)
- Experience in handling publicly available GIS datasets, crowd-sourcing platforms such as Open Street Maps and remote-sensing databases
- Working knowledge of PowerBI and Tableau is preferable.
Rs. 25,000 per month
How to Apply?
- Only Qualified applicants should apply online at this link.
- All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
- List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter/ Resume/ Writing Sample/ Reports/
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. The finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
For more details, click the link below.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in: