Applications are now open for the Getty Pre & Postdoctoral Fellowships 2020-2021. The Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme or the African American Art History Initiative.
Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly meeting devoted to the annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000 (Rs. 21,83,551.50 approx.)
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $35,000 (Rs. 25,47,476.75 approx.)
- Both fellowships also provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare options available.
- These terms apply as of July 2020 and are subject to future changes.
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
- Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period.
- Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
All fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis. Applications will be evaluated by the Getty Research Institute based on:
- The overall quality of the application;
- How the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme;
- The applicant’s past achievements; and
- How the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
How to Apply?
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Selected Bibliography; Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract; Curriculum Vitae; Writing Sample; Confirmation letter) by the deadline.
To apply online, click here. The last date to apply is October 1, 2020.
Phone Number: (310) 440-7374
For full notification, click the link below.
You might also be interested in Getty Foundation Scholar Grants 2021-22 for Researchers [Fully Funded]: Apply by Oct 1.