About the Grants
Getty Scholar Grants are for established scholars, or individuals who have attained distinction in their fields. Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue their own projects free from work-related obligations, make use of Getty collections, join their colleagues in a weekly meeting devoted to an annual research theme or the African American Art History Initiative, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
- Applications are welcome from researchers of all nationalities who are working in the arts, humanities, or social sciences.
- Applicants who received their degree after September 1, 2016, should apply for a postdoctoral fellowship.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Scholar Grants.
- Recent recipients who have received a Getty Scholar award within the past three years may be removed from consideration.
Getty Scholars may be in residence from three to nine months:
- Three-month residency: September to December, January to April, April to June: $21,500
- Six-month residency: September to April, January to June: $43,000
- Nine-month residency: September to June: $65,000
How to Apply?
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Getty Scholar grant application form, along with the attachments described below, by the deadline.
- Project Proposal: Each application must include a description of the applicant’s proposed plan for study and research (not to exceed five pages, typed and double-spaced). The description should indicate (1) how the project bears upon the scholar year theme* and (2) how the project would be advanced by the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Optional Writing Sample
Apply through this link.
October 1, 2020
Attn: Getty Scholar Grants
Phone: (310) 440-7374
For more details, click the link below.