About the Fellowship
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is searching for the leaders of tomorrow – from Brazil, China, India, Russia, and the USA. The German Chancellor Fellowship offers you an opportunity to take the next career step in Germany – irrespective of your field of work. In order to apply, develop your own project idea and find the host of your choice to mentor you. Once your host has confirmed, you can apply for a fellowship.
- the applicant must be a national of the United States, the Russian Federation, The People’s Republic of China, Brazil or India
- Bachelor’s or equivalent academic degree completed less than twelve years before the beginning of the fellowship (1 October of the year following application)
- initial proven leadership experience; applicants with a preponderantly academic background should have acquired initial leadership experience in addition to their own research activity
- German or English language skills
- a letter of motivation
- a project plan; candidates must draw up their project plan independently and discuss it with their intended host prior to application
- a detailed statement, including confirmation of supervision, by the host in Germany
- two references by individuals qualified to comment on the candidate’s professional, personal and/or academic background.
- a monthly fellowship of €2,170, €2,470 or €2,770, depending on your qualifications
- individual mentoring during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support for items such as family members accompanying you, travel expenses or a German language course
- a study tour of Germany and a number of events during which you can make contact with other fellows and representatives of German companies and institutions.
Applicants are selected according to the following criteria:
- previous career and leadership potential
- significance of fellowship for further career development
- potential to build bridges between home country and Germany
- international outlook and future role as an international leader
- existing knowledge to help complete the project successfully
- relevance of the project for the dialogue of modern societies
- extensive alumni sponsorship, particularly to help you sustain contact with collaborative partners in Germany during your entire professional career.
The completed application form, including the necessary additional documents, should be submitted online by the application deadline. Visit the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s website for further information on the online application process and all necessary documents as well as access to the online application system. A confirmation of receipt will be issued immediately after the application has been submitted.