Applications are open for the Generation Google Scholarship for Women in Computer Science 2021-22.
About the Scholarship
Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science was established to help aspiring students pursuing computer science degrees excel in technology and become leaders in the field. Selected students will receive $1,000 USD for the 2021-2022 school year.
Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, demonstrated leadership, and academic performance. The program is open to students who meet all the minimum qualifications and they strongly encourage women interested in computer science to apply.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Identify as female
- Be currently enrolled as a full-time student for the 2021-2022 academic year
- Be a 1st year or 2nd year student in a Bachelors program at an accredited university in one of the following Asia Pacific countries/regions:
- Southeast Asia+ : Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam
- Be studying computer science, or a closely related technical field
- Demonstrate a strong academic record
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate passion for improving representation of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology
You will be asked to complete an online application which includes:
- General background information (e.g. contact information and details about your current and intended universities)
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree)
- Responses to two short essay questions (Refer below)
- Google Online Challenge (Invitation to the challenge will be sent 5-7 working days post application deadline)
- Recipients will be selected based on the overall strength of their essays and application materials compared to the entire applicant pool or respective peers (e.g. 1st year students compared to other 1st year students).
IMPORTANT: Before starting the application, have the following ready for upload:
- PDF copy of your resume (if applicable, please include leadership positions, extracurricular activities, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on your resume)
- PDF copy of your current or most recent transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- PDF copy of your two short-answer responses
Terms and Conditions
- Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science awards must be spent on tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment required for the students’ classes at their primary university. Scholarship recipients must be enrolled as full time students for the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Enrollment will be verified after the winners are selected, and all scholarship payments will be made directly to the student to be used towards tuition and education-related expenses.
- They will withhold the award for any scholar who no longer meets the eligibility requirements and revoke the award for any scholar who does not maintain the eligibility requirements.
- Selected recipients will receive instructions from Google on how to receive the award. Failure to complete these steps by the specified deadline will disqualify recipients from receiving the award.
- Recipients may defer their award for up to one (1) year from the time of originally planned payment on a case by case basis as determined by Google. Google employees are not eligible to apply for Google scholarships. Persons who are (1) residents of embargoed countries, (2) ordinarily resident in embargoed countries, or (3) otherwise prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions programs may not apply for this scholarship.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the scholarship through this link.
March 29, 2021
For more details, click the link below.