About the Program
Proposals are invited online for consideration of support under the Scheme “Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure (FIST)” of the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India. The Scheme is intended to provide basic infrastructure and enabling facilities for promoting R&D activities in new and emerging areas and attracting fresh talents in universities & other educational institutions. It is considered as complementary support for enabling Departments/ Centres/ Schools/ Colleges to pursue research activities more effectively and efficiently.
The duration of support for each FIST Project will be for a period not exceeding 5 years.
- For University / Degree awarding Academic Institutions, the support will be considered for the ‘Department / School / Center’ as a unit. All Science (including Medical & Agriculture) and Engineering Departments/ Centres having strong PG research programs which have existed for at least 3 years or more in universities and other higher educational institutions recognized or regulated by UGC/ AICTE and/or MHRD/ State Education Department based, are eligible seeking support for the 1st time.
- All other agency based academic University/ Institutes are excluded from the scope of FIST support. The Department/ Centre/ School already supported under FIST Program may submit fresh proposal after completion of the ongoing project duration, provided such projects completed in all respects and obtained ‘Completion Certificate’ whose copy may be attached in the current proposal.
- The number of Core Faculty Members with PhD degree in the Department/ Centre/ School shall be at least 5 (Five), 8 (Eight) and 10 (Ten) for Level I, Level II and Level III, respectively. For applying under Level III support, the concerned Department must have been in existence for at least 15 years and implemented at least two (2) FIST Projects at Level II category and have obtained one ‘Excellent’ and one ‘Very Good’ grading in last two FIST Level ‘II’ Projects.
- Those Departments that have completed 2 cycles of support in any particular level i.e. Level I or Level II and which would be not eligible in normal way to next higher level after 2 cycles of support may be considered for support, only for research, with the maximum quantum equal to 50% of upper limit of support in any given category as a upper limit in 3rd cycle of support (i.e. an upper limit of Rs 1.5 crore in Level I and Rs 5.0 crores in Level II for research purposes only).
Type of Support
- Level – 0: Proposals from active PG Colleges (Govt./ Govt. aided/ Private) shall be considered for shall be considered for a maximum support of up to Rs. 150 lakh for establishing research facilities for the S & T departments for 5 years.
- Level – I: Proposals from relatively small but active post-graduate S&T Department from State & Central Universities and degree awarding academic Institutions requiring moderate funding for improving quality of research. The support would be up to Rs 300 lakh for 5 years for augmentation of research facilities to a Department/ School/ Centre.
- Level – II: Proposals from well established S&T Department from State/ Central Universities and degree awarding academic Institutions with high repute requiring substantial funding (upper limit – Rs.1000 lakh for 5 years) for acquiring state-of-the-art equipment & setting up laboratories for conducting internationally competitive research. In addition, an amount of Rs 10.0 lakh (Rs 2.0 lakh/year) would be allocated separately to implement Scientific Social Responsibility (SSR) under the FIST Program. The SSR activities that can be supported are given in the Draft SSR document at the DST website.
- Level – III: Proposals from well established, internationally competitive S&T Department from State/ Central Universities and degree awarding academic Institutions. The upper limit of funding support would be Rs 2000.0 lakh for 5 years) for acquiring only state-of-the-art very sophisticated equipment/ facilities. In addition, an amount of Rs 10.0 lakh (Rs 2.0 lakh/year) would be allocated separately to implement Scientific Social Responsibility (SSR) under the FIST Program. The SSR activities that can be supported are given in the Draft SSR document at the DST website.
How to Submit?
Interested applicants can submit through this link.
May 5, 2020
Dr Arindam Bhattacharyya
Email id: a.bhattacharyya[at]nic.in
For further details, click here.