Saral Jeevan Fellowships 2018 [Stipend Rs. 10K/Month]: Apply by June 10
About the Fellowship
The Frontier Markets “Saral Jeevan” Fellowship is an immersive 12-month experience for national and international students interested in solving India’s biggest challenges around rural communities, women empowerment, and market-based solutions to help achieve an easier life, or “Saral Jeevan,” in rural India.
Through a combination of field-level training, experienced staff mentorship, and connections to Frontier Market’s global partner community, fellows will have the opportunity to innovate, support, and implement interesting projects and programs that will be implemented at scale.
Through this experience, our fellows not only get exposed to the grassroot realities of India’s energy access, women empowerment, financial inclusion, digital divide, and market linkages, but also develop a personality being an advocate of change, develop the skills to become an entrepreneur, and mindset necessary to attain positions of leadership in the social enterprise ecosystem. Social businesses are difficult because of their complexity of balancing impact and profitability, which will be better understood through this fellowship.
The fellows cover the 12-month journey in 4 stages with an option to extend their fellowship or attain a full-time position with Frontier Markets after the final stage of their work in the program.
The 4 Stages are the following:
Stage 1: Orientation
– Learning about the field
– Learning about Frontier Markets
– Experiencing end-to-end understanding of every department
– Goal: Build a deep understanding of last-mile distribution, and develop a clarity for projects for the year
Stage 2: Project Development
– Working with various departments to deepen documentation around project proposal
– Including: process maps, manuals, training materials, and overall buy-ins from departments
– Goal: Refined Pilot Execution Plan
Stage 3: Project Implementation
– Project Management – end-to-end
– Mentor check-ins
– Monitoring and Tracking Project with set KPIs, and ROIs
– Goal: Deep understanding and learnings of the project
Stage 4: Fellowship Review
– Documentation of the Fellowship
– Review of the Fellowship
– Next Steps: Renewal, Onboarding, References
– Goal: Proper career setting or next steps for Fellows
Fellows complete a rigorous, multi-stage selection processes where they hare evaluated for core competencies that are essential for success within and beyond the Fellowship.
Fellowship Competencies include:
• Demonstrated leadership
• Critical Thinking
• Commitment to our goal of developing Saral Jeevan in communities
• Passion for social enterprise development
• Adaptability to diverse cultures and community
• Willingness to work long hours and travel
Interviews will be a video interview on Skype with the Founder / CEO as well as the designated Mentor for the Project. The interview will cover the following:
1. Application Review
2. Additional Questions Related to the Candidacy Capability and Connection to the Project
3. Any questions that the Fellow may have about the program
Young-at-heart professionals, graduates, or undergraduates motivated and energetic, high on communications skills, who are interested in or already participating in developing countries, social enterprise, rural communities, energy access, women empowerment, or market-based solutions through technology delivery.
Monthly stipend of Rs. 10,000 to meet living expenses, Rs. 50,000 and certification of completion of the fellowship in Year 1, and Rs. 1,00,000 and certification of appreciation at the end of fellowship in Year 2. Letter of Recommendations from Senior-level teams, networking opportunities with global partners, travel opportunities in India, and mentorship with Executive Management Team for career and skills development.
Frontier Markets’ Head office located in Jaipur, Rajasthan. There will be an opportunity to work in Jaipur, or local offices within Rajasthan, or Odhisha. Additionally, travel to Hyderabad, Bangalore, or Mumbai depending on the project activities.
Click here for FAQs about the programme.
For full details and online application form, click here.
About the Author
Loved my student life, love talking to students now. I am a wearer of multiple hats (wife, mom, cook, chauffeur). My job is my hobby! :)