Applications are invited for the French Institutes for Advanced Study (FIAS) Fellowship Programme 2022-23.
About the Fellowship
The French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme (FIAS) offers 10-month fellowships in the five Institutes of Paris, Lyon, Marseille, Montpellier and Nantes. It welcomes applications from high-level international scholars and scientists primarily in the fields of the social sciences and the humanities (SSH).
For the 2022-2023 academic year, FIAS offers 17 fellowship positions in Paris.
The fellows’ projects at the Paris IAS can be in any disciplines and themes in the social sciences and humanities (SSH). They must have a strong interdisciplinary dimension and aim at a major advance on their topic or in methods.
An essential selection criteria is the capacity of the proposed projects to make explicit their potential impact beyond their discipline/field and possibly beyond academia. Priority will be given to projects addressing societal challenges or offering innovative insights into the functioning of humans and societies.
The Paris IAS also welcomes projects at the interface between SSH and the cognitive and neuro-sciences. In particular, the program on “Brain, culture and society” would like to explore in priority the three following themes: City design and the brain: a dialogue between architecture and neuroscience; Psychomotor organisation and the regulation of behaviour (impulsivity, inhibition); Future minds: the societal implications of the technological and pharmaceutical methods of cognitive augmentation.
The FIAS fellows will benefit from the support and conducive scientific environment offered by the IAS, in an interdisciplinary cohort of fellows and in close relation to the local research potential. The fellows will be free to organize their work and conduct research as they wish.
All IAS have agreed on common standards, including the provision of a living allowance (min. net 2,700€ per month), social security coverage, accommodation, a research budget, plus coverage of travel expenses.
- FIAS awards fellowships to outstanding researchers of all career levels, from postdoctoral researchers to senior scientists. The minimum requirement is a PhD + 2 years of research experience at the time of the application. Exception will be made for scholars with a Master + 6 years of full-time research experience after the degree (PhD training will not be considered in the calculation of experience).
- Researchers from all countries are eligible to the FIAS Fellowship Programme but they have to have spent no more than 12 months in France during the three years prior to the application deadline.
- Applicants for a fellowship in Paris must provide a letter of collaboration with member(s) of a university or research institution based in France, signed by a member of the institution (faculty, researcher.
- It does not necessarily have to be the head of a research unit). Preference will be given to projects conducted in cooperation with the partners of the Paris IAS (Sorbonne Université, Université Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris 3, Université de Paris, Université Paris Nanterre, Université Paris-Saclay, EHESS, EPHE, ENS, FMSH, INALCO).
- Applicants must contact their local collaborators themselves, the Paris IAS will not create connections for the applicants.
How to Apply?
Applications are submitted online via this link.
The scientific selection is highly competitive, merit-based and conducted through an international independent peer review.
- Application deadline: July 6th, 2021 – 6:00 PM CET (Paris Time)
- July-October 2021: Double peer review
- November 2021: Preselection by the FIAS Selection Committee (communication of preselection results)
- January 2022: Selection by the IAS Scientific Advisory Boards and communication of results
Click here to view the official notification for the French Institutes for Advanced Study (FIAS) Fellowship Programme 2022-23.
More such opportunities that you might be interested in:
- IBS Young Scientist Fellowship 2021 at Korea [Funding Upto Rs. 1 Cr]: Apply by June 30
- TWAS-CUI Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2021-22 for Researcher [Fully Funded]: Apply by Aug 31