Applications are invited for FOSS4Gov Innovation Challenge 2021 by Govt of India. The last date of registration is 1 September 2021.
About FOSS4Gov Innovation Challenge 2021
The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) announces #FOSS4Gov Innovation Challenge to accelerate adoption of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in Government and build Indian FOSS Ecosystem. Through this challenge, we invite innovators, start-ups, working professionals, academics and students in India to showcase their existing FOSS based innovations and/or build new, implementable, open source product innovations in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) with possible applications for Govtech in Health, Education, Agriculture, Urban Governance etc.
This Challenge is an opportunity for participants to pitch ideas to experts and receive mentorship to develop and fine-tune solutions. The winners of the Challenge will also receive cash rewards and incubation support to scale their products. Additionally, they will have the opportunity to get their solutions listed on the Government e Marketplace (GeM) , thus allowing a host of central and state government departments to procure them.
Omidyar Network India (ONI) will support the provision of mentorship sessions (optional) for this Challenge to the interested shortlisted teams with leaders from the tech, startup and functional domains, to guide the teams towards customization of their solution and driving citizen-centric and scalable design.
OpenForge – India’s own platform shall be used to host the code for this innovation challenge, we’ll be using for collaborative development of e-governance applications.
The Challenge is open for all Indian entrepreneurs and FOSS enthusiasts including startups, students, academia, coders, IT professionals, engineers, UI/UX professionals, etc. All applicants should:
- Be Indian citizens and currently residing in India OR startups/Companies registered in India wherein majority stakeholders are Indians; and
- Register either as individuals with atmost 2 supporting team members, with the team leader registering on behalf of the team.
|1||Launch of Innovation Challenge||I||26th July 2021|
|2||Last Date for Registration (Team formation)||I||1st September 2021|
|3||Last Date for Submission of Ideas||II||1st September 2021|
|4||Declaration of Teams Shortlisted for Building Prototype <15+15>||III||10th September 2021|
|5||Submission of Prototype||III||11th October 2021|
|6||Declaration of Teams Shortlisted for Final Presentation <5+5>||III||21st October 2021|
|7||Presentation of Top Teams in each category||IV||29th October 2021|
|8||Declaration of Results||IV||3rd November 2021|
|9||Incubation for winners to upscale||V||3rd November 2021 onwards|
If software platforms are the drivers of the digital economy, then reusable open source systems are its building blocks. In the case of FOSS, these building blocks are made openly available for everyone to tinker, tweak, and improve as they like and to use as building blocks to build other things.
FOSS innovators are invited to propose Ideas/Products/ Innovations, build applications, having applications in the fields of Health, Education, Urban Governance, Agriculture or any other field related to E-governance for public for two categories :
- Customer relationship management (CRM)
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
Stages of Challenge
The Innovation Challenge is open for participation in teams having experts from all domains of a software development life cycle, including but not limited to FOSS innovators, technology entrepreneurs and Indian Startups, Academia. The FOSS4Gov Innovation challenge will be organised in five stages.
Team Creation phase: FOSS4Gov Innovation challenge will be announced and Challenge page will be created for participation on a MyGov and MSH platform. The challenge will be launched and expressions of interest (EoI) will be collected in this phase. Applicants will have to register their Teams and their interested categories on the application link.
Ideation phase: The intent of this stage is to invite FOSS innovators with creative minds to participate and propose ground-breaking ideas. Teams will have to propose their innovative and cutting edge, implementable ideas / Products / Innovations in CRM and ERP with possible applications for Govtech in Health, Education, Agriculture, Urban Governance etc. All submitted ideas for the given problem statement will be evaluated and 15 (fifteen) teams in each category would be shortlisted to participate in the next stage.
Prototype Phase: The shortlisted teams should develop a prototype of the solution within a 30 days’ time frame and provide a link/apk file to their working prototype for evaluation. During this phase, teams may be offered mentorship support to consult esteemed leaders in the tech industry and seek their inputs for refining their solutions. The prototype would be evaluated on the following parameters:
- User-centricity in the Indian context (use of vernacular languages, design for low internet penetration etc.)
- Potential for rapid deployment
- Robust citizen-centric safeguards (e.g., data protection)
All teams should build/ host their projects on OpenForge – India’s own platform for collaborative development of e-governance applications. While access to the source code would be restricted to the organizing team, mentors and jurors during the course of the Challenge, the winning teams would be required make their source codes public at the end of the Challenge.
The top 5 (five) teams in each category would be selected for the presentation in front of an esteemed Jury. The evaluation parameter may include improvement in ease of use by the citizens, innovation, and usage of emerging technologies, interoperability, scalability, ease of implementation and usage.
Presentation Phase: In this phase, shortlisted teams would be required to make final presentations to a Jury comprising experts from the government, industry, civil society and academia. Teams would be required to submit a video demonstrating how their solution works.
Productisation Phase (Final Stage): The winners of the FOSS4Gov Innovation challenge will the opportunity to develop a marketable product that may be listed on a procurement portal such as GeM for easy procurement by government agencies. MeitY will provide handholding and incubation to the winners in order to scale their products.
FOSS4Gov Innovation Challenge 2021 Awards
- Exciting cash prizes for the winning solutionsThe Top winning teams in each of the two categories (CRM and ERP) will receive INR 20 Lakhs (CRM) + INR 20 Lakhs (ERP) and the second team will receive INR 15 Lakhs (CRM) + INR 15 Lakhs (ERP) and the third team will receive INR 10 Lakhs (CRM) + INR 10 Lakhs (ERP) as funding to further develop and add features to the selected application, along with certificate from the Hon’ble Minister of Electronics & IT.
- Omidyar network India (ONI) will provide a special prize of Rs 5 lakh in each category for best citizen centric safeguards.
- A chance to receive one -on- one mentorship support by experts to develop and fine-tune your FOSS solutions during the competition
- An opportunity to present your solution to an eminent jury of experts from the government, civil society, academia and the industry during the competition.
- Incubation support and an opportunity to get solution(s) listed on the government platform GeM for procurement, customisation and use by departments and agencies in the centre and in the states, for the winners.
Click here to view the official notification of FOSS4Gov Innovation Challenge 2021 by Govt of India.
You may also be interested in: