World Future Council is inviting viewers for its Forward Thinkers Webinar on Preventing Pandemics on 20 May 2021.
About the Webinar
The International Day for Biological Diversity (or World Biodiversity Day) is a United Nations international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues. The World Future Council and the Convention on Biodiversity (CBD) have awarded the world’s best biodiversity policies with the Future Policy Award. Costa Rica’s Biodiversity Policy received the Gold Award.
This webinar will also present why Costa Rica is so successful in biodiversity conservation and what the country is proposing as Global Deal for Nature to be adopted at COP 15 in Kunming, China later in the year. The CBD will also outline why governments need to adopt ambitious plans to implement broad-based action to bring about a transformation in society’s relationship with biodiversity.
The webinar will also present the research results of our handbook for policymakers on preventing pandemics with future just biodiversity policies. Because science is clear: In order to prevent future pandemics, we need to protect ecosystems and biodiversity. Covid-19, Ebola, Aids, SARS und MERS were all caused by viruses jumping from animals to humans. The destruction of nature makes future pandemics more likely. More than ever, we need exemplary policies to protect biodiversity.
The webinar is part of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration, which aims to accelerate action for the protection and restoration of ecosystems all around the world, for the benefit of people and nature.
- Julia Marton-Lefevre, Member of the Bureau of IPBES and Councillor, World Future Council, former Director General, International Union for the Conversation of Nature (IUCN) (confirmed)
- Andrea Meza, Minister of Environment and Energy of Costa Rica, Future Policy Gold Award Winner (invited)
- Prof. Dr. Jorge Cabrera, author of Biodiversity Handbook on exemplary biodiversity policies, Center for International Sustainable Development Law and World Future Council (confirmed)
- Patricia Mumbua Kombo, Founder of PaTree Initiative, Youth:Present representative, and UNCCD Land Hero (confirmed)
- Moderator: Alexandra Wandel, Chair, Management Board, World Future Council (confirmed)
- Date: May 20, 2021
- Time: 7.30 PM IST
- Duration: 1.5 hours
- Admission: Free
How to Apply?
To apply for this webinar, click here.
For further information, click on the link below:
For more such opportunities, check here:
- ISDM and Lawctopus’ Webinar on Young Lawyers leading the Impact in the Social Sector [April 24, 2:30 PM, Limited Seats]: Register Now!
- Webinar on Big Data and Spark by IBM [April 23; 4:00 PM]: Register Now!
- Research Webinar on Pricing & Matching for Shared Mobility by IIM Ahmedabad [Apr 23; 5 PM]: Registrations Open