The Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research (FMI) runs both a PhD program and, since summer 2016, an MD-PhD program. While the PhD program accepts students with a university degree in life sciences, the MD-PhD program is tailored to students of medicine with an interest in fundamental scientific research. Both programs offer students the opportunity to carry out cutting-edge biomedical research in a stimulating, highly international and collaborative atmosphere.
- Applicants must hold, or anticipate receiving before enrollment, a university degree that would formally qualify them to enter a PhD or equivalent program in their home country (MSc., Diploma, DEA etc.)
- A course of study at the FMI leading to a PhD degree of the University of Basel typically lasts four to five years.
- Individuals who have studied medicine and who wish to gain a deep knowledge in fundamental biological research by performing a PhD thesis.
- Students applying to the program must hold, or anticipate to receive before their enrollment, a university degree that would qualify them to enter formal clinical training / residency (e.g., a diploma in medicine or an approbation).
- They also should have some laboratory research experience and have done an experimental Master/Diploma thesis, which must be approved by the University of Basel.
- A course of study at the FMI leading to a PhD degree of the University of Basel typically lasts four years.
Together with the Biozentrum of the University of Basel, the Department of Biomedicine of the University of Basel, the Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering (D-BSSE) of the ETH, and the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (TPH), the FMI participates in an international and interdisciplinary graduate teaching program in the areas of
- cell biology
- developmental biology
- biophysical chemistry
- structural biology
- systems biology
- infection biology
Please fill in the online application form.
Last date for application: November 15
For any queries, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com