Linguistics is a discipline devoted to understanding the nature and function of ‘Language’ through scientific methods. Language is, however, an interdisciplinary phenomenon which has been an object of study in older and contemporary fields like Philosophy, Literature, Psychology, Neuroscience, Sociology, Anthropology and Computer Science. Students, researchers and practitioners in these fields often deal with language without the practical skills, theoretical tools and knowledge required to systematically study it.
The Fall School in Language at IIT Gandhinagar is a boot-camp in Linguistics which will enable them to do so.
This school is also suitable for interpreters, language teachers, copy-editors, proof-readers, advertisers, journalists and lawyers who can professionally benefit from a systematic understanding of language.
The school comprises an assortment of lectures, hands-on training sessions, field-trip and a workshop.
- Building Blocks of Language (6 lectures): These lectures acquaint the participants with nature’s engineering behind language. The modular and hierarchical organization of linguistic form is introduced.
- Language, Culture and Society (6 lectures): These lectures introduce participants to various aspects of the two-way relationship between language and culture. Fundamental topics in Linguistic Anthropology are covered.
- Analyzing Grammar (4 hands-on training sessions): In these 4 sessions the participants are trained to analyze the grammar of a lesser-known language by engaging a native speaker and applying knowledge from Building Blocks of Language lectures.
- Fieldtrip (Half-day): On the penultimate day, participants visit the old city of Ahmedabad and work on a topic of their choice in consultation with the instructors. They will present their work the following day.
- Research Workshop (Half-day): The course instructors present their research to familiarize the participants with the methods and current hot topics in various areas of Linguistics
- Presentations (Half-day): The school concludes with its participants presenting their analyses from Analyzing Grammar sessions and research from Fieldtrip.
The cost of the Fall School is ₹5310 which includes accommodation and food for five days and travel for the field trip.
This is an introductory school and no previous background in Linguistics is assumed. The school is aimed at post-graduate students, researchers and practitioners from the following disciplines:
And working professionals from the following fields:
Speech and Language Therapy
Last day for applying: 1st September
Application results: 7th September
Last day for fees payment:15th September
Arrival in Gandhinagar: 6th October
Fall School: 7th-11th October
The Fall School has 20 places. Applicants are selected based on their academic background, CV and a short letter of intent (500 words).
E-mail the application materials (CV and a letter of intent) to email@example.com by 1st September 2019.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by 7th September 2019 with further instructions for completing the application process. The deadline to pay the fees is 15th September 2019.
We might be able to offer a limited number of travel bursaries of Rs.1000. Please specify in the application if you would like to avail one.