To help support thoughtful and groundbreaking academic research in the field of AI Ethics that takes into account different regional perspectives in these areas, Facebook is opening a call for papers in India on the following key areas.
The questions and themes under each of the 3 key areas below are just examples of possible research questions, applicants are encouraged to come up with their own proposals and to leverage, as much as possible, regional context and local examples in their submissions. This line of research will complement and amplify the line of research that the TUM Institute for Ethics in AI is conducting.
- Operationalizing Ethics / Explainability / Fairness
- Cultural Diversity
How to Apply
The RFP is open to academic institutions, think tanks, and research organizations registered and operational in India. We ask applicants to submit a 2-3-page proposal, which should include:
- A research question and a clear statement of work that can be completed with 6 months of award. Applicants are encouraged to leverage, as much as possible, regional context and local examples in their submissions.
- A summary of the project (1-2 pages) explaining the area of focus, a description of techniques, relevant prior work, and a timeline with milestones and expected outcomes (recall that the timeline should not be more than 6 months)
- A draft budget description (<1 page) including an approximate cost of the award and explanation of how funds would be spent. Proposals are highly encouraged to focus funding on project personnel, especially Ph.D. students.
- Proposals from small collaborative teams are also encouraged. The proposed budget should be within INR 10,00,000 to INR 20,00,000. Please note that in the submission form you will be asked to provide the requested amount in USD.
- Payment will be made to the proposer’s host institution as an unrestricted gift. With this, overhead is typically limited to 5-8%.
- Organizations must be a nonprofit or non-governmental organization with recognized legal status in their respective country and should comply with the applicable laws to receive foreign funds in their respective country.
- Applicants must be the Principal Investigator on any resulting award.
- Applicants may submit one proposal per solicitation.
- Interested candidates can apply by clicking here.
Timing and Dates
- Applications are now open. The application deadline is July 13, 2019, at 11:29 am PST (11:59 pm India Standard Time).
- Awardees will be notified by October 5, 2019, and all funds will be dispersed within three months of the award date (no later than the end of the calendar year).
- Awardees will be invited to attend workshops in their region to meet with Facebook researchers and other experts. Please budget INR 50,000 for two domestic trips.
Phone Number: 650-543-4800