Echoing Green is accepting applications for the 2021 Fellowship from April 6 to April 20, 2021.
Who can Apply?
Social innovators are more than just their business plan. Echoing Green is looking for visionary leaders who are committed to upending structural oppression and creating change in their communities so that all people can thrive. They strongly encourage change-makers who identify as Black, Indigenous, and people of colour to apply. Below are some criteria they will use to evaluate your application.
- Leadership Skills: Someone who has the ability to drive ideas forward, build support for your vision, and lead an organisation toward its goals.
- Purpose Alignment: Someone who can demonstrate a deep conviction and passion for the issue they are committed to addressing. Candidates can also illustrate their dedication to solving the problem will not waiver even if their organisation’s form shifts over time.
- Relationship to and Expertise on the Issue: Social innovators who are closest to their communities possess the ideas and authenticity to affect the greatest change — their proximity is one of their most significant assets. Candidates can showcase an understanding of root causes and their relationship with the community impacted by the issue they are addressing.
- You must be over 18 years old, fluent in English, and able to commit full-time to your organization. If you are currently a full-time student or employee, you must agree to make your organization your full-time engagement if awarded a Fellowship.
- You must be the primary decision-maker and have ultimate authority over the growth and strategic vision of your organization.
- You do not need to be based in the United States or be an American citizen. Echoing Green does not sponsor American work permits for any foreign nationals.
- You are welcome to reapply in future cycles if you do not receive a fellowship.
- The organization must be the original idea of the applicant, in its start-up phase, and independent and autonomous.
- An organization can be structured as a nonprofit, for-profit, or hybrid.
- An organization does not only have to be run by one individual, but only a single applicant is eligible to apply for an Echoing Green fellowship starting in 2021.
- Organizations still in the idea phase are eligible. You do not need to establish 501(c)(3) status or register your organization before you apply.
- The organization must be independent and autonomous. It cannot be under the management of another organization. If you have a fiscal sponsor that provides support but does not control organization decisions, you are eligible.
- No members of an organization’s founding team and no individuals in a leadership position at the organization can already have been awarded an Echoing Green Fellowship.
- Tuition or scholarship funding, or research projects; lobbying or faith-based organizations; and existing organizations that have grown past their start-up phase are not eligible to apply.
What should your Organisation consist of?
- Innovation: Your organization seeks to bring about dramatic, not just incremental, change. You can communicate how your organization builds upon or makes improvements to an existing model or introduces an innovation into a new context.
- Changing Systems: Social innovators know that big problems require audacious thinking, even when the solution is simple. You can define how your solution can directly impact many lives, shift a community’s trajectory, or change a system and structures.
- Racial Equity: Racial equity is an end-state that requires ongoing actions to build a world where all people have equal opportunity and resources to thrive. Your organization centers racial equity in its work, repositions communities of color in relation to power and resources, and emphasizes transformative solutions that impact multiple systems. To achieve your mission you center the knowledge, visions, and prioritization of the leadership of people most impacted by structural racism.
Steps in the Process
- Applications received
- Submit during open applications period: The application process is designed to be inclusive, constructive, and engaging; Resources to help the candidates while they build their application are offered.
- Applications Reviewed
- Receive Feedback while Advancing: The team of expert reviewers closely reads and scores each application. As the candidates move forward, resources and feedback to help strengthen the ideas will be sent, even if the candidates aren’t selected for the following rounds.
- Finalists chosen
- Participate in Interviews: If the candidate is chosen as a Finalist, they’ll get interviewed by expert panelists and will be featured in the annual Social Entrepreneur Spotlight.
- Fellows Notified
- Celebrate and Begin your Leadership Journey: If chosen as a Fellow, the candidate will embark on their Fellow journey with guidance from the team every step of the way.
- Submit your final application using Echoing Green’s application website. Do not mail, fax, or email your application – Echoing Green will not accept it if it is not submitted through the application website. No exceptions!
- Any extraneous materials submitted will be discarded immediately and not reviewed. We will not accept or review any other documents (e.g., letters of inquiry, business plans) in lieu of the online application.
- Your application must be received before 2:00 PM (14:00) ET on the date of the deadline. Without exception, if Echoing Green receives your application after this deadline, regardless of technical difficulty, your submission will not be considered for the Fellowship application cycle.
- Applications cannot be revised once they have been submitted. Once you submit on Echoing Green’s application website, no changes can be made, even if time remains before the final deadline.
- You may only submit one application. Any applicant who submits multiple applications for the same project or single applications for different projects in the same application cycle will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the fellowship through this link.
For more information, click on the link below.