About the organizer
Since October 1998, the American Geosciences Institute has organized this national and international event to help the public gain a better understanding and appreciation for the Earth sciences and to encourage stewardship of the Earth. This year’s Earth Science Week will be held from October 14-20, 2018 and will celebrate the theme “Earth as Inspiration.”
About the video contest
For Earth Science Week 2018, the American Geosciences Institute invites you to enter the Earth as Inspiration video contest. Submit a brief, 30-90 seconds, original video that tells viewers about artistic expression that stems from the natural world where you are, and how art can be an excellent way to learn about the Earth.
Your video entry might take almost any form. A public service announcement, an animated cartoon, a video incorporating your own original music, an interview with a family member, a professional geoscientist, or an artist who uses geosciences to create their work, some other format. You decide. Be creative!
The contest is open to individuals or teams of interested persons of any age in any part of the world.
“Earth as Inspiration”
The winner will receive a prize of $300 USD, a copy of AGI’s The Geoscience Handbook, and his or her photograph will be used on the Earth Science Week Website. The winner’s and finalists’ names will be posted on the Earth Science Week Website. Winners will need to supply AGI with a photograph to be posted on the website.
How to submit
To submit an eligible entry for the contest, you must provide three things:
1. Your YouTube submission (For directions, click here)
2. Signed Official Photo/Video Release Form emailed to Celia Thomas at email@example.com. This includes release forms for any participants featured in the video who are under the age of 18.
3. Completed Google Form.
Your video submission is considered incomplete until we receive these items. All eligible submissions must be received electronically by 5 p.m. ET, Friday, October 19, 2018.
Any people in the video who can be visibly recognized must sign an Official Photo/Video Release Form before the entry is submitted and in the case of minors, they must have parent or guardian signatures.
In addition to the video, complete entries will include:
- The names and ages of all entrant(s).
- The name of the site and a brief description of any featured location(s), including longitude and latitude.
While the copyright for the video and its content is retained by the entrant(s), entering the contest automatically provides AGI the right to display the video online and/or in any public or private settings without restriction.
The entrant(s) must:
- Certify that all content in the video is original and belongs to the entrant(s).
- Obtain permission to use any location that is shown in the video.
- Ensure that all submission information (e.g., names and signatures on the Official Photo/Video Release Form; location of place that is the entry focus site) are accurate.
- Verify that all team participants who are under 18 years of age have permission from parents or legal guardians to take part in the contest.
- Maintain safe practices.
- Be respectful of any featured location(s), other people using the site, and wildlife there.
- Provide complete contact information by which the entrant(s) can be reached.
- Serve as point of contact for the team.
- Respond to notifications from AGI in a timely manner
Celia Thomas (Program Associate)
Phone: 703-379-2480 ext. 150
For full details, visit the official website by clicking here.