The Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change invites applications from Taxonomists with outstanding contribution for conferring Three Awards, one each in the field of Plant Taxonomy, Animal Taxonomy and Microbial Taxonomy for the year 2020.
- Any Indian taxonomist engaged in Taxonomic research work on flora, fauna or microorganisms in the country is eligible for the award. There will be no age limit. The following is a list of illustrative, eligibility criteria for the award:
- Outstanding contribution in the area of taxonomic revision of species/genus/family/order;
- Outstanding original contribution in the area of taxonomic monographic work (Assessment of overall aspects of knowledge of species/genus/family/order);
- Ability to recognize new taxa as evident by discovery of new species/genus;
- Outstanding experimental work in areas such as cytotaxonomy, molecular taxonomy, chemotaxonomy etc.
- Research experience in the field of taxonomy in terms of number of years spent in taxonomic research and teaching;
- Experience in research guidance in taxonomy in terms of number of M.Phil and Ph.D. theses guided;
- Number of research publications, such as original research papers, books and contribution in symposia and workshops at National and International level.
Criteria for Selection
The Selection Committee would, among other things, keep in view:
- outstanding contribution to taxonomic revision.
- outstanding Original contribution in taxonomic monographic work.
- Ability to recognize new taxa by discovery of new species/Genus.
- outstanding work in cyto, molecular & chemotaxonomy.
- Research Experience in taxonomic research and teaching.
- Experience/guidance in taxonomy in number of Ph.D theses.
- Number of research publication, original research papers, books.
Each award will carry Rs. 5, 00,000/- (Five Lakh only) in cash along with a citation, scroll and Medallion. The Awards will be given to the Taxonomists selected by a Selection Committee constituted for this purpose.
Announcement of Awards
The award will be announced through Print Media & Web-site during first week of June 2021. The Government reserves the right to withhold the award 2020, if it is felt that no meritorious nomination is received. Those who have received this award in the previous years shall not be eligible for consideration again.
How to Apply?
The nominations must be made in the prescribed format available here. The nominations ( 2-sets each) are to be sent in a registered sealed cover marked “E. K. Janaki Ammal National Award on Taxonomy for the year 2020 ” into the following address:
- Dr A A Mao, Director, Botanical Survey of India, HQ, CGO Complex, 3rd MSO Building, Block F, Sector 1, Salt Lake City,
- Dr. Sandeep K. Chauhan, Scientist ‘E’, CS-II, Division, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Govt. of India, Agni Wing, A 428, 4th Floor, Indira Parayavaran Bhawan, MOEFCC, Jorbagh, New Delhi-1100033 Phone: 011-24695401.
- The soft copy of the nomination is also to be sent to Dr. S. S . Dash, Scientist ‘E & In Charge Technical Section’, Botanical Survey of India, HQ, CGO Complex, 3rd MSO Building, Block F, Sector 1, SaltLake City, Kolkata – 700 064. Phone:033-23214050 at email via email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
July 31, 2021