The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India in partnership with Foldscope Instruments Inc. and PrakashLab (Stanford), invite applications under this Request for Proposals from teachers, scientists and community members across India for the use of foldscope as an educational, training or research tool as detailed below.
Selected applicants will be awarded with Foldscope and a small grant, and preference will be given to government schools and colleges in resource constrained environments.
The selected applicants will be twinned with the North East region of India for exchange of idea and students under the programme.
All proposed activities of the successful proposals will be mirrored in a school/college of the North East; likewise all successful proposals from NE will mirror activities in school/colleges from rest of India.
Who can apply?
Category A: Teachers from schools from all over India, with a clearly defined cohort of students who can be from across classes, subjects and disciplines. Please see Annex I for Format.
Category B: Anyone with a clearly defined research project, not limited to those affiliated with universities/research institutions. The organisation will have to be registered with the Government of India for funds to be transferred. Please see Annex II for format.
Category C: Anyone interested in the use of Foldscopes for a citizen science project.
Call for Proposals invites proposals which demonstrate the use of Foldscope as:
Category A. Educational and training tool
School teachers can submit proposals for:
- Teaching students (class 3-12) the basics of microscopy, environmental science, biology, etc., using Foldscope as a tool
- “Micro-” research projects performed by students using Foldscope as an educational tool (e.g. cataloguing the microflora/microfauna of surrounding water bodies)
Category B. Research tool:
Applicants motivated by research questions can submit proposals for:
- Using Foldscopes to answer a question in basic research (e.g. how does cellular communication happen between Tetrahymena ciliates?)
- Using Foldscopes to answer a question related to human health (e.g. what aquatic conditions are favorable/harmful for the propagation of infectious nematodes?)
Category C. Crowd-sourcing science tool:
- Applicants not interested in pursuing their own teaching or research question, but still interested in using Foldscopes for a citizen-science endeavor, are encouraged to apply under this category to receive two Foldscopes for the purpose of contributing to a citizen science project that will be specified by DBT and Foldscope Instruments/PrakashLab.
Last Date of Application May 31, 2017
How to apply?
Applications in the relevant format (Annex I and Annex II) will be submitted by May 31, 2017, through email to firstname.lastname@example.org with copy marked to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name and address of the school:
- Whether School is government aided:
- Bank details of the school:
- Name of the teacher/s and subject area:
- Address of the lead Teacher with contact number (landline/cell number, email):
- Cohort of students define number of students, subjects (should preferably across all subjects including humanities and commerce), class (should again be a mix of all classes)
- Theme of the project (whether teaching/research/ both):
- Define the theme (Not more than 500 words):
- Define a work plan which includes activities (field trips/ competitions etc) (Not more than 2 pages)
- Name and address of the organisation:
- Bank details of the Organisation:
- Name and Address of the PI with contact details (landline and cell number, email)
- Category/Theme of the project: (Biodiversity, Microorganisms and Human Health, Air Quality, Agriculture, Sanitation, Ecology or Plant Biology)
- Objective (0ne line):
- Research and Experiment details plan (not more than 500 words each):
- Significance ( not more than 100 words)
- Feasibility (Whether possible in one year) and Timelines for the proposed activities
- Dr Madhan Mohan, Adviser, NER-BPMC, Email : email@example.com
For more information visit the official page here.