Applications are invited from eligible applicants for the Daniele Tamagni International Photography Grant 2021.
About the Grant
This is an international Photography Grant with funding for a Scholarship for higher education and is designed to sponsor young and emerging photographers.
The spirit of this initiative promotes the dissemination of the African culture, its creativity, the impact of its visual aesthetics on the continent and the diaspora and the in-depth exploration of the medium of photojournalism.
The official language of the initiative is English as the Recipient of the Scholarship must be proficient in English to benefit from the workshops and the reviews.
Each applicant must submit the following:
- a portfolio of min 20, max 30, fully captioned images, 72 DPI (jpg), 1200 pixels longest size, captioned
- max 2 projects with a synopsis or a description of the project(s). (PDF, max 500 strokes)
- a declaration of proficiency and command of English to follow the Scholarship
- a short bio and a motivation statement for attending the course
- only, when feasible, a brief testimonial by their Teacher(s).
Applicant must verify the following conditions:
- To be the sole author of the photographs
- Her-His ownership of the proprietary rights in the photographs
- The submitted portfolio does not infringe third party copyrights or violates privacy rights
- For communication, promotion and cultural initiatives, the recipient agrees that the Daniele Tamagni Foundation, with terms of perpetuity and free of rights, is entitled to use of the pictures from the Submission and Graduation Portfolios (the digital files and its reproduction)
The Grant is non-transferable and no cash or credit alternatives will be substituted other than the scholarship on offer. To be entitled to the Grant , the attendance to the Market Photo Workshop Course in Johannesburg is a must.
The Daniele Tamagni Estate and Partners will support the Recipient in obtaining a Student Visa in South Africa for the duration of the Scholarship. Should the visa not be granted for reasons not attributable to the Daniele Tamagni Estate, no cash or credit alternatives are foreseen.
The scholarship includes:
- Market Photo Workshop School tuition for a one year enrolment to the Photojournalism and Documentary Photography. Programme information can be found here.
- A monthly stipend of 10,000 ZAR (around 580€/650$) for 12 months, to cover accommodation, meals and other out of pocket expenses, while attending the Course at the School in Johannesburg
- Medical insurance
- A return Economy class air-ticket from the place of residence to Johannesburg ZA.
- Assistance in the visa application, when required.
During the Scholarship, the recipient will create a new body of work to be presented for admission to the Addis Foto Fest in Ethiopia and an Italian Photography Festival (still to be confirmed). The Recipient will also be introduced to international photo editors and professionals within the media industry.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply for the grant through this link.
- 1st June – 10th August 2021 submissions to Photo Market Workshop platform
- By 5th September Jury selection of 3 nominees
- By 20th September Director of Market Photo Workshop, Chairman
of the Jury, plus another Jury member will interview the 3 nominees
- By 25th September notification to Recipient who must confirm acceptance
of the Grant by 30th September
- By 1st October preparation of scholarship, Visa application if required for South Africa, etc
- First week of December the recipient will be invited to Addis Foto Fest in Addis Abeba, to receive the award and will attend workshops and portfolio reviews with international photo editors. Participation and travel to Addis Abeba to be confirmed in due time if feasible.
- January 2022 the course starts in Johannesburg (date to be defined)
For queries, please email : firstname.lastname@example.org