Human Resource Development Division (HRDD), Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) invites applications from Engineering post-graduates (M. E. / M. Tech. /Equivalent Degree) for admission to DGFS-Ph.D. programme under the aegis of Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI) commencing from August, 2018.
The selected students will be admitted to one of the following Constituent Institutions of HBNI:
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai;
- Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam;
- Institute for Plasma Research (IPR), Gandhinagar;
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC), Kolkata.
These centres have been in the forefront of research in various branches of engineering viz. chemical, civil, computer, electrical, electronics, instrumentation, mechanical, metallurgical and nuclear. Several state-of-the-art laboratories and research facilities are unique to these institutions.
The Ph.D. Programme in Engineering Sciences is extremely challenging in view of the expanding Nuclear Power Programme of the Department of Atomic Energy. For the motivated candidates, it offers considerable scope to realize their potential while simultaneously contributing to the important task of nation building in this highly specialized area.
The selected students will be awarded fellowships under the DAE Graduate Fellowship Scheme (DGFS-Ph.D.) for pursuing Ph.D. under the aegis of HBNI.
Terms and Conditions
- The DGFS-PhD fellowship is tenable for three years. Any further extension is based on the progress made in PhD programme and recommendations of the Competent Authority. In any case, no extension will be given beyond five years.
- The amount of fellowship payable under the scheme is Rs. 40,000/- pm (Rupees Forty Thousand Only) besides house rent allowance and medical benefits as per rules & an annual contingency grant up to Rs. 32,000/- (Rupees Thirty Two Thousand only).
- The selected fellows will carry out research under the joint supervision of two guides, one having strength in basic research and the other in technology development.
- One has to make own arrangement for accommodation.
- Qualifying Degree and other academic qualifications: Candidates should possess M.E. / M.Tech. or equivalent postgraduate degree in chemical / civil / computer / electrical / electronics / instrumentation / mechanical / metallurgical / nuclear engineering with minimum 60% Marks. In addition to this, the student should have 60% marks in B. E. /B. Tech. or any other degree considered to enter M.E. / M.Tech. programme. The ‘qualifying 60% marks’ should be as per the ordinance of the respective degree awarding university OR equivalent of cumulative grade point average CGPA (converted to % Marks by multiplying with 100/x if the CGPA is on x points scale).
- Age limit: The candidates desirous of availing DGFS-Ph.D. fellowship should have been born on or after August 1, 1990. Age limit is relaxable by three years for OBC and by five years for SC/ST applicants. Persons with Disability (PWD) of all categories are eligible for further age relaxation of 10 years. The age limit for the candidates working as faculty in Engineering Colleges is 40 years, who desire to pursue Ph.D. without
the fellowship grant.
- Nationality: Applicant should be an Indian citizen.
Applicants who fulfill the above mentioned eligibility criteria will appear in a written screening test to be held at 12 centres across India on June 24, 2018.
Candidates will be shortlisted for selection interview based on performance in the screening test as well as previous academic record .
There will be 25% weightage for B.E./B.Tech. percentage, 25% weightage for average of M.E./M.Tech. Semester-I and Semester-II percentages and 50% weightage for percentage in the BARC Screening Exam.
The final selection will be based on performance in the interview only. The candidates should be prepared for a 10 minutes presentation on their research interest during Interview. Outstation applicants called for interview will be paid to and fro sleeper class train fare on production of tickets by shortest route, or actual fare, whichever is less.
How to apply
Only Online Applications will be accepted. Candidates must visit this website and fill the Online Application form in the period May 15, 2018 to May 31, 2018.
Launch of Online Application Portal: May 15, 2018
Last Date for Online Application: May 31, 2018
Download of Admit Cards: From June 6, 2018 onwards
Screening Examination; June 24, 2018
Declaration of List of Candidates shortlisted for Selection Interview: July 2, 2018
Selection Interviews:July 14, 2018 & July 15, 2018
Declaration of List of Selected Candidates: July 25, 2018
For any query, please fill this form.
For official notification, click here.