The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) invites essays as per following details written in any official Indian language or in English from regular full time students studying for graduation in India (after 10+2), in any discipline, in an Indian university or an institute deemed to be a university.
The essays should be submitted by a single author. Those who have won prizes (including consolation prize) in our earlier essay contests are not eligible.
The essay should begin with an introduction and end with a conclusion. The introduction should highlight the multifarious achievements of DAE in basic sciences and nuclear technology development and how these have helped in overall societal development in the country.
The introductory portion should not exceed 350 words and should be followed by a detailed essay not exceeding 1500 words in any one of the topics given below. The conclusion should not exceed 150 words. The entire essay should not exceed 2000 words.
Topic I: Nuclear Power for Combating Climate Changes
- Current energy scenario
- Energy security and sustainability for future
- Clean energy technologies – nuclear and renewables
- Development of nuclear infrastructure in India
- Economic aspects of nuclear and other technologies
- Advanced safety technologies and regulatory practices
- Optimal energy mix for India’s future – inevitability of nuclear power
- Generating public awareness for nuclear power
Topic II: Isotopes and Radiation Technology – Impacting the Quality of Life
- Basis of applications of radioactivity
- Genesis of isotope programme and current technologies for isotope production
- Medical applications and radiopharmaceuticals
- Isotopes in hydrology and water management
- Applications in agriculture and food
- Industrial applications – tracers and sealed sources
- Innovations in radiation processing
- Environmental applications for Clean India Mission (Swachchh Bharat Abhiyaan)
- Safety regulations for radioisotopes and its applications
Topic III: Role of Power Beams in Clean India Mission
- Laser, plasma and electron beam sources and their unique features
- Advantages of power beams as against conventional methods
- Laser: a cleaning tool in nuclear industry, heritage conservation and monitoring environment pollution
- Plasma: role in toxic waste disposal, surface cleaning
- Electron beams: role in tacking industrial pollution, food preservation
How to Send the Essay:
The essay should be sent to the address given below directly by the contestant, along with bonafide studentship certificate from the principal of his/her college/institute. No essay will be accepted if sent by email or telefax.
The participant shall write his/her name, college/institute and residential address with contact no and email id of the student as well as the institute on a separate detachable sheet to facilitate communicating the results of the written essay. Name or address should not be written elsewhere on the text of the essay.
Assistant Administrative Officer,
Public Awareness Division,
Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India,
Anushakti Bhavan, CSM Marg, Mumbai 400 001,