Nominations are invited for CSIR Diamond Jubilee Technology Award 2020. The last date of application submission is 25 July 2021.
With the objective to foster technological innovation based on innovative science, CSIR launched an annual Diamond Jubilee Technology Award on 26th September 2002 in commemoration of its Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
It was launched in recognition that mere investments in creating enabling infrastructure and support systems are not sufficient for achieving cutting-edge technological breakthroughs. Continuous encouragement and motivational nourishment need to be provided to potential inventors and innovators to unleash and realize their creative potential. Besides, those who succeed in giving outstanding performance need to be honoured by the nation.
The award is to encourage scientists, engineers and technologists to develop innovative technologies and products that are amongst the best in the world and enhance India’s image. Technologies leading to commercially successful products, processes and services, which give India a sustainable competitive advantage, are considered for the award.
Besides the technological innovation must simultaneously help broaden interactions among academic, R&D and financial institutions and industry and commercial sectors, and provide newer vehicles for commercialization. The Award is intended for scientific discovery or technological innovations, which have reached the market place. It is given annually to a technology that is developed in the country by Indian innovators and meets the highest global standards.
Nominees must be:
- An Indian team, a company or an organization. In case of teams, Indian citizenship is a pre-requisite. For a company/ organization, more than 50 percent of its shares or assets should be owned by the citizens of India / Indian entities.
- The technological innovation must have originated in India or if it has been developed elsewhere, it must have a significant and highly innovative Indian component.
Criteria for the Award
The technological innovation should
- Create a new market or significantly develop an existing market, with demonstrated competitive advantage and large cross section of users/ consumer response;
- Compete successfully internationally on the basis of novelty, price, quality, functionality and reliability;
- Help raise capital or enhance the value / brand equity or image of the company / organization;
- Promote employment in the country; and
- Contribute benefits to the community generally and help raise the standards of quality of life of the community.
All information received will be considered in confidence and accessible only to the Awards Secretariat and Members of the CSIR Technology Award Selection Committee.
- Please answer each of the following in maximum 200 words.
- Title of the Technology.
- Name, address, contact details, legal status and ownership pattern of the organization/company.
- Scientific and Technical description of the technological innovation.
- Extraordinary features of the technological innovation.
- Quantifiable and tangible benefits resulting from the technological innovation (give metrics for quantification).
- Features of competitive technological innovations whether in practice or not.
- Characteristics of technological innovation that make it stand out from its competitors (compare the features).
- Impact of the technological innovation including the method of determination on: (i) India’s competitiveness (ii) Society (iii) Employment and (iv) Environment.
- Significant scientific & technical challenges that were overcome in the development and transfer of the technological innovation.
- Technological and financial risks taken or investments made to develop the technological innovation from the concept to commercialization.
- Alliances and partnerships that facilitated the technological innovation and their contributions.
- Commercial status including estimated present market share and future potential of the technological innovation and the basis how this was determined.
- Details of Intellectual Property Rights secured and applied for (indicate patent numbers & enclose abstracts).
- Scientific publications emanating from the technological innovation (enclose reprints).
- Any other significant aspect not highlighted above
- Please enclose collateral material such as organization’s / company’s annual reports (for past 3 years), scientific, technological, trade and media coverage on the technology innovation.
- The application should pertain to the scientific discovery or technological innovations, which have reached the market place in the year 2020.
A two-tier selection procedure is in place. The initial screening to shortlist the qualifying applicants is done by a committee of seven eminent experts representing diverse disciplines. The short listed applicants are considered thereafter by a high-level expert committee chaired by an eminent technologist / Chairman of the CSIR Advisory Board with membership comprising of:
- Industrial associations such as CII, FICCI, ASSOCHAM;
- Directors of CSIR Laboratories;
- Financial Institutions / VCF;
- Past CDJTA Awardee; and
- Eminent Experts.
- All the members are nominated by DG, CSIR.
The award consists of a cash prize of Rs. 10 lakh, a citation and a plaque.
Head, Technology Management Directorate – Industry Interface
Council of Scientific & Industrial Research
Anusandhan Bhawan 2, Rafi Marg, New Delhi – 110 001
Tel: 011 23710453
Email: cdjta[at]csir.res.in or tmd-indus[at]csir.res.in
You may also be interested in:
- Scroll of Honour Awards 2021 by UN-Habitat: Submit by August 8
- Global Masters Scholarship 2021-22 by University of Birmingham, UK [30 Scholarships; Awards Upto Rs. 10 L]: Apply by June 30