About the Funding
LifeArc has made available an initial £10M for the identification of therapeutics that can be rapidly deployed to treat COVID-19. The aim is to run trials in patients during the current epidemic. It is anticipated that applications will be for funding to repurpose one or more drugs that are generic, already licensed, or are in late stage development for another indication.
The primary purpose is to accelerate availability of treatments for patients and it is therefore expected that applicants will already have material available for testing and a plan for rapid scale up of clinical material. Priority will be given to projects that have a clear path and availability for patients in a 6-12 month timeframe.
Plans for the structure of the clinical trials should be in advanced stages of development and should follow the specialist guidance from the regulators on COVID-19 trials.
The expectation is that the data obtained will be shared openly and, where knowledge obtained could benefit the development of other COVID-19 therapeutics, this should be done as quickly as is reasonably possible.
Eligibility and Grant
- Applications from academics, NHS employees, or companies from any geographical location are welcomed.
- Grants will be awarded rapidly under standard, non-negotiable terms. LifeArc will not seek any financial return on these grants. It will not take any equity stakes or other revenue return. It is expected that those receiving funding will respect the spirit of the award and where relevant prioritise COVID-19 patients’ access over any potential for profit.
- The grant will pay for the direct costs of the trials and the science associated with that. There is no official cap on size of applications, however, it is anticipated that a small number of the most promising projects will be funded from the £10M currently available. Applications for funding to supplement existing funding to enable a COVID-19 trial will also be eligible.
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply through this link.
- Call opens 20th March 2020
- Deadline for applications is 6th April
- Funding decisions expected week beginning 27th April