About the Organiser
The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay is a public technical and research university located in Powai, Mumbai, India. IIT Bombay was founded in 1958. In 1961, the Parliament decreed IITs as Institutes of National Importance.
About the Course
The Short Term Course on Utilization of Solar Thermal Energy is organised by the Department of Energy Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay from May 25-29, 2020.
The course is designed to suit academicians, policy makers, implementers, industrial users, and manufactures. It is designed to cover basic concepts, design approaches and issues, related calculations and practical issues, and economic and commercial issues. Exposure to energy field is needed. Engineering background with exposure to solar thermal field is preferable. Please bring a scientific calculator with you for the tutorials. The participants are also suggested to bring laptops for modelling and simulation exercises.
The course gives an overall perspective of the sector, capability to understand the technical issues along with the basic details of the technologies involved, and an overview of the economic and the R&D issues. The course covers the following topics:
- Solar radiation and geometry
- Solar thermal collector technologies and applications
- Receiver design approaches and simulation techniques
- Integration of solar collectors with thermal processes
- Solar thermal power plants: Technologies and issues
- Solar-hybrid energy systems
- Solar thermal systems modelling and optimization
- Thermal storage technologies
- Economics and energy economics of solar energy systems
- R&D issues in solar thermal technologies
- Visit to the solar energy lab at IIT Bombay
Faculty members of degree level engineering colleges recognized by AICTE are eligible to attend the course.
No registration fees. However, a participation confirmation fee of ₹ 2,000/- need to be paid online through the above portal. This amount will be refunded on attending the course but forfeited if not attended.
How to Register?
All the participants have to register for the course online through this link.
April 30, 2020
Course Coordinator: Prof. Anish Modi