IIT Kharagpur organises a Course on Introduction to Glass Science & Technology on 18-23 May 2020. Glass is a solid-like and transparent material that is used in numerous applications in our daily lives. Natural and abundant raw materials such as sand, soda, ash, limestone are melted at high temperature to make glass. At high-temperature glass is structurally similar to liquids, however, at ambient temperature it behaves like solids.
It is an unlimited and innovative material that has plenty of products that we use everyday which clears that modern life would not be possible without glass. The objective of the course is to provide a broad interview about glassy materials to the participants. It is an amalgamation of various scientific and technological aspects associated with the commercial production of glassy materials.
- Introduction to glass and their importance in modern and ancient times.
- Theory of glass formation.
- Structure of glass in microstructural and atomic level.
- Structure property relationship of glass.
- Manufacturing process of glass in details.
- Mechanical properties of glasses.
- Alteration to be done in glassy material to achieve required specifications.
- Discussion about some special type of glassy material like bulk metallic glass, glass-ceramics, borosilicate glass, non oxide glass, chalcogenide glass, optical fibres etc.
- Various laboratory visits related to different aspect of glass making and characterization.
Who can attend?
B.E. / B.Tech- Ceramic Engineering, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. M.Sc- Physics, Materials Science.
Last day of Registration is 30 April 2020
Dr. Shibayan Roy