Course on Astrobiology & Science Communication at IISER Kolkata [July 22-26]: Registrations Open
IISER Kolkata is organizing a GIAN Astrobiology and Science Communication: The Search for Life Beyond Earth from July 22 to 26, 2020. This course is designed to bring together students and researchers in the fields of Earth Sciences, Biology, Physics and the Space Sciences to raise awareness of new directions in the field of Astrobiology in India.
The training in science communication does not require expertise or research interests in Astrobiology. The lectures in Astrobiology will discuss not only the latest discoveries at the cutting edge of this fast-moving field of research but also the key methodologies and analytical techniques employed.
- The course will deliver training on clear and effective science communication, which is a key transferable skill, and enormously beneficial to the careers of the individuals involved.
- This practical training is designed to empower the participants to disseminate the importance of science beyond the academic community and to stimulate public engagement with the science in India.
- Defining life, its origins, and detectable biosignatures
- Extremophiles and the survival limits of terrestrial life
- Astrophysical conditions & origins of the solar system
- What makes Earth a habitable planet?
- Martian planetary history: a habitable world?
- Our robotic search for signs of Martian life
- Ice Worlds: Europa and Enceladus
- Venus and Titan: a different kind of life?
This course will be of interest if:
- You are a student or researcher in the fields of Earth Sciences, Biology, Physics or the Space Sciences interested in learning about new directions in the field of Astrobiology in India. Scientists, researchers, and teachers from colleges, research institutes, and universities across India, as well as undergraduate and graduate students, are welcome.
- You are interested in honing your science communication skills so that you are able to disseminate the importance of your research beyond the academic community and to stimulate public engagement with science.
To register online for the course, click here.
Phone Number: 033 6136 0022
For further details, click here.
About the Author
When I die, bury me with all my tatts on. When I die, bury me without the lights on.