IIT Kharagpur is organizing a QIP Short Term Course on Mathematical Modeling of Flow & Transport Processes in Fluid Mechanics from August 10 to 14, 2020.
This course will give a mathematical approach to fluid mechanics. The theoretical aspect of the course will be made as much self-explanatory as possible to serve a much wider audience and later on it will be complemented with several numerical simulations to give them a feel of the subject.
The objective of this course is to give an overview of the basic physical concept and modeling techniques in fluid mechanics. We will also perform numerical simulations to show the application of the theory. The entire course structure is made in such a way that it will be beneficial for both mathematicians as well as engineers who are seeking to have a good grip on the topics from fluid mechanics.
- Kinematics of fluids motion: Lagrangian and Eulerian descriptions of motion, material, local and convective derivatives, velocity and acceleration of a fluid flow, equation of continuity, streamlines, pathlines, streak lines, vortex lines.
- Rotational and irrotational motions, Euler’s equation of motion, Lamb’s hydro-dynamical equations.
- Bernoulli’s equation, Steady motion for the conservative field.
- Motion in two dimensions, complex potentials, sources, sinks, images, doublets, images with respect to the circle and other curves, Milne-Thompson and Blasius Theorems, use of conformal mappings, aerofoils, Kutta-Joukowski’s Theorem.
- Flow and Circulation, Kelvin minimum energy theorem, Kelvin circulation theorem, kinetic energy of the infinite liquid, cyclic and acyclic motion, the motion of a cylinder, motion past a cylinder.
- Newton’s law of viscosity, Newtonian and nonNewtonian fluids, body and surface surfaces, stress and strain analysis in fluid, principal stress, Cauchy Stress tensor and stress vector, symmetric nature of stress tensor, the constitutive equation for a compressible Newtonian viscous fluid.
Who can Apply?
Faculty members from different AICTE approved universities and working professionals. Mathematics, Civil
Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Related departments.
- Nil for AICTE: QIP sponsored participants
- For others: INR 15,000/- (Fifteen thousand) + GST @18% per participant
Accommodation will be provided to the AICTE-QIP sponsored participants at the campus Guesthouse. For other participants, the same will be provided on a chargeable basis as per rule.
How to Apply?
To apply online for the course, click here.
Phone Number: +91-3222-283674
Email ID: email@example.com