About the Course
This short program is designed to give a detailed overview of Medical Device development from an industry perspective. The program would touch upon the entire process from conception to development of devices from research, regulatory, clinical, marketing, engineering and legal perspective. Emphasis would be given on the engineering part starting from capturing the requirements and converting them into specifications which would translate into a functional module and later on into a prototype ready for testing and bringing you close to market.
The program will be a guide on how to start from scratch to develop a fully functional prototype for your idea/research. This is especially useful for young faculty and students who wish to apply to BIRAC Biotechnology Ignition Grant and other startup grants for career development. This will also benefit mid-level and senior level academics who wish to teach Biomedical Engineering courses and set up labs in their colleges
Objectives of Course
The primary objectives of the course are as follows:
- Providing exposure to the design of medical device from concept to market
- Highlighting the state of the art techniques in product development
The course would be divided into following subparts for medical device development:
- Academia Vs Industry – what’s the line that separates academia from industry and what are the crucial elements in a successful translation.
- Regulatory Basics
- Project Management Basics
- Project Planning (Requirement capture till prototype)
- Pre-clinical Research, Design & Development (DFM (Design for manufacturing), DFA(Design for assembly), Fabrication techniques, Design Management
- Pre-clinical and Academic Clinical Testing
- Business 101 – Making a business model
Who may Benefit?
- Academics (Young, mid-level and senior-level) that need to translate ideas to biomedical products or wish to apply for startup grants for career development or setup companies
- Physicians that have a medical device idea and wish to know the basics of how to get started
- Biomedical Engineering (or other STEM) majors who want to learn about medical device development
- People fresh out of college that need a basic primer on device development for their job/career development
- This course is NOT for seasoned medical device project professionals
Course will be held at the Victor Menezes Convention Centre, IIT Bombay.
How to Register?
Participants are required to register for the course, online through this link.
- Academia (College teachers only): INR 17700
- Govt. Organisation: INR 17700
- Industry: INR 23600
- Student (Full Time): INR 11800
Dec 1, 2019
Coordinator: Prof. Rohit Srivastava