About the Course
Whether an aspiring scientific or medical illustrator or someone who enjoys drawing nature’s wonders, this first-of-its-kind MOOC course is for you.
The field of Natural History Illustration is about observing and illustrating subjects from nature, science and culture, with their linkages to the environment being central. Our natural world is a fascinating place. Being able to observe and replicate it through illustration provides insights into life that can change how we think about ourselves and our surroundings.
You will learn essential skills and techniques that form the base for creating accurate and stunning replications of subjects from the natural world. This art and culture course is suitable for people looking to enter the illustration discipline as a serious pursuit or just looking to explore a passion.
As world-standard instructors, we will show you practical ways to develop your skills from the outset. Step by step, we will cover the fundamentals of Natural History Illustration, from the first observation of a subject in the field to the final replication in the studio.
This online course will teach you enduring skills that can be used in many different ways. Join us to explore, observe and draw the natural world and become part of a scientific tradition steeped in history.
What you’ll learn?
- Core scientific observational skills
- Field drawing and sketching techniques
- Concept sketch development
- Composition for natural history illustration
- Form, proportion and structure essentials
- Drawing and rendering techniques
- Week 1: Introduction: Introduction to course and overview of NHI of historical and contemporary practice to set the scene for an immersive skills building experience.
- Week 2: Observational drawing: Introduction to Natural History Illustration methods and demonstration on observational drawing.
- Week 3: Field sketching and recording techniques: Introduction to working in the field and recording subjects and their environmental surroundings quickly and accurately.
- Week 4: The structure of flowers and leaves: Understanding plant anatomy.
- Week 5: The structure of mammals and birds: Understanding animal anatomy.
- Week 6: Rendering: Creating finished artworks.
FREE, Add a Verified Certificate for ₹3,589
To enroll for this course, click the link below.
Note: NoticeBard is associated with Edx via an affiliate programme.