The Department of Astronomy is organizing the 3rd ‘Foundation Course in Astronomy and
Astrophysics’ (a 10-Day certificate course) in the Department of Astronomy, Osmania
University, Hyderabad, during July 08-19.
10 days (30-hours) certificate course in Astronomy and Astrophysics by Department of Astronomy, Osmania University.
About the Course:
The primary aim of this program is to inculcate a scientific awareness of the subject of Astronomy among the young students and motivate them to pursue careers in Astronomy and Astrophysics.
The course work is planned as an extra subject beyond the regular University curriculum. The course includes theory classes, practical/project sessions, a field trip to Astronomical Observatory, project presentations.
On completion of the course, the students will be awarded certificates with grades based on overall performance.
- Basics of Astronomy (Celestial coordinates, Constellations, Time, distances, etc.).
- Origin of Life in the universe and its future.
- Solar system (Including planets and minor bodies like Asteroids, Meteors & Comets).
- Stellar evolution (Life of a Star, Exo-planets).
- Galaxies and their structure (Einstein’s Gravitational waves).
- Astronomical instrumentation (TMT, WEBB & other space-based telescopes).
- High energy Universe (ASTROSAT satellite).
- Unsolved mysteries of Universe (Dark energy, Dark matter, etc.).
- The course is open to all candidates who are pursuing/completed Graduation with Maths, Physics, Computers at Intermediate (10+2) level and are having an aptitude for Astronomy and Astrophysics.
- Knowledge of English language is necessary as the mode of the course will be in English.
The number of seats in a batch is limited to 50 only. Admissions will be done on a first-come-first-served basis.
How to Apply?
The duly filled registration form should be sent to the below address:
Dr. D. Shanti Priya
Head, Department of Astronomy
Osmania University, Hyderabad
Ph. No: (O) : 040-27682247
- Last Date for Registration: June 8, 2019.
- Commencement of course: July 8, 2019.
- Date of completion of course: July 19, 2019.