About the Course
4G is the cutting-edge network technology that links millions of smartphones to the internet. But how does it actually work?
Ideal for network engineers, sales engineers, application developers, and many other telecoms pros, this course will help you to understand the technology behind the apps and devices we use every day. You’ll get a solid overview of LTE/EPC (Long Term Evolution / Evolved Packet Core) 4G networks, how they work, how the network architecture is designed, and which protocols are used.
First, you’ll gain exposure to the global architecture of the network, how the radio interface works, and how security is guaranteed. Then you’ll dive into the operational side. What is a bearer? How is it quickly configured and released? How does 4G handle millions of terminals that are on the move all the time?
Over the next few years, the advent of 5G will see over 20 billion mobile terminals go online. By mastering the key concepts of 4G, you can be ready for the next chapter in mobile networking—and the jobs of the future. Whether you’re a graduate student or already in a professional role, targeting a career move or just building your skills, you’ll gain plenty of detailed, practical knowledge that you can put into practice immediately.
This course has received financial support from the Patrick & Lina Drahi Foundation.
What you’ll learn?
- Describe 4G networks’ functioning and architecture.
- Explain how telecommunications operators provide mobile users with a permanent IP address in a secure manner.
- Analyze the internal exchanges and protocols used in a 4G network: attachment, location updating, handover.
- Identify the transport and control functions in a 4G network. Diagnose a network service problem.
- Christophe Couturier Teaching and Research Assistant IMT Atlantique
- Philippe Martins Professor Télécom Paris-Tech
- Xavier Lagrange Professor IMT Atlantique
- Alexander Pelov Associate Professor IMT Atlantique
To enroll in this course, click the link below.
Course on 4G Network Essentials
Note: Noticebard is associated with edX through an affiliate programme.