Submissions are invited for Core Research Grant (Individual Centric) by SERB for the year 2022. The last date of application is 18 April.
Extramural Research (EMR) funding scheme of SERB to academic institution, research laboratories and other R&D organizations to carry out basic research in all frontier areas of Science and Engineering is in limelight for more than four decades since from the inception of SERC.
This scheme encourages emerging and eminent scientist in field of science and engineering for individual centric competitive mode of funding. Since the scheme provides core research support to the active researchers, the existing name Extramural Research (EMR) has been renamed as Core Research Grant (CRG).
The scheme provides core research support to active researchers to undertake research and development in frontier areas of Science and Engineering.
- Applicants [Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-Principal Investigator(s) (Co-PI(s))] should be Indian citizens. Foreign nationals (including OCI and NRI) are also eligible to apply provided they fulfil the eligibility criteria notified by SERB.
- The applicant(s) must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in any other recognized R & D institution in India.
- Private Academic institutions with valid UGC / AICTE / PCI approval, Private R&D Institutions with valid DSIR-SIRO recognition and Voluntary and Non-Governmental Organizations registered under NITI-AAYOG Darpan portal are eligible to host a project.
- Faculties recruited through UGC-Faculty Recharge Program are eligible to apply. INSPIRE Faculty, Ramanujan and Ramalingaswamy Fellows are also eligible to apply provided they have at least three and half years of tenure remaining at the time of submission of application.
- Investigators who will be superannuating during the duration of the project or already superannuated are also eligible to apply. In such cases, a Faculty/Scientist from the host institute who has at least 5 years of service remaining should be associated as a Co-PI. The host institution should allow the investigator to continue after superannuation and provide required support towards implementation of the project.
- The PI and Co-Investigator(s) should hold Ph.D. degree in Science, Mathematics, Engineering or M.D / M.S. / M.D.S. / M.V.Sc degree at the time of applying for grant.
- The term “Regular” in the context of CRG refers to the applicants who are appointed against the sanctioned post or in a tenure post, but are likely to be renewed after the end of the tenure.
- [Note: Research Associates, Ad-hoc faculties, Guest Faculty, Visiting Scientist, consultant, Project Fellows and Faculty members whose contract is renewed every year are not eligible. In respect of cases that are not mentioned above , SERB reserves the right to determine the eligibility]
- Aspirants of NPDF, SRG and CRG(EMR) can submit their proposal only once in a calender year in any of these schemes.
Nature & Duration
- The CRG scheme provides research support to an individual researcher or a group of researchers working in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in other recognized R & D institution in India.
- The funding is provided normally for a period of three years.
- The research grant is provided for equipment, manpower, consumables, travel and contingency. “Overheads” is also be provided to the implementing institution as per prevailing norms of SERB.
- Proposals from applicants belonging to National Laboratories/Research Institutions should be in-line with the mandated research work of the lab/institution. (A certificate duly authorised by the Head of the Institution should be uploaded along with the proposal)
- National Laboratories and Research Institutions should share 50% of the non-recurring cost of the project. For projects with total cost more than Rs. 80 lakh, 50% of the non-recurring and consumables cost should be shared by the Lab/Institution. If project is approved for SERB support, a certificate from National Laboratory / Research Institution will be required for the same.
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
- Applicant(s) should first register into the online website click here to register
- After log-in, applicant(s) are required to fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address etc.
- If you have CO-PI in your proposal then ensure that all the CO-PI’s are also registered into the system following the same procedure.
- Some of the details of your proposal like Project Title (max 500 characters), Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of project (max 1500 characters), Expected output and outcome of the proposal (max 1500 characters), Budget (Manpower,Consumables,Travel, Equipment, Contingency, Overheads ) have to be entered at the time of proposal submission.
- Other relevant information of the proposal has to be uploaded in single PDF file not more than 10 MB as other technical document (OTD).
You may also be interested in: