CfP: Conference on Mobile Phones, Gender & Society @ TISS Mumbai [June 4-5]: Submit by April 10
School of Media and Cultural Studies of TISS Mumbai and University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, is organizing a two-day Conference on Mobile Phones, Gender & Society: Emerging Empirical Realities & Feminists Perspectives during June 4-5, 2019. Submit abstracts by April 10.
About the Conference:
The context of India and South Africa with the conflicting realities of growing sexual freedoms of young people on the one hand and the legalistic conundrum of age at consent is throwing fresh challenges to society and gender relations.
The following questions with reference to India and South Africa will be addressed at the Conference:
- What are the varying experiences of youth with regard to the use of mobile technologies?
- How are concepts of ‘privacy’, ‘agency’, ‘autonomy’ and ‘consent’ being framed in the legal arena with reference to young women, which may or may not be empowering of their agency and choices?
- What is the process of meaning-making making (identity construction) garnered through mobile phone technology– specifically relating to notions of love, sex, and sexuality?
- What are the new forms of digital-based surveillance on girls, women and gender minorities?
- Are there attempts to build progressive, empowering and gender-sensitive strategies to strengthen access to technologies on the one hand and mitigate technology-mediated violence against girls, women and gender minorities?
- What are the state, civil society and women’s movements responses to tackling the divergent narratives of freedom vs control; empowerment vs violence?
Both young and established scholars and practitioners are welcome to apply.
Click here to register.
- Individuals interested in submitting abstracts are encouraged to email a 500 word abstract with a title, name of the author (s), organizational affiliation and email id for communication.
- Abstract to be emailed to tissllworkshop[at]gmail.com.
- Submit by 10th April 2019.
- Authors of selected submissions will be informed by the 14th April 2019.
- Draft papers to be submitted by 15th May 2019.
For further information, click here.
About the Author