The online application is invited from Indian national for ‘2019 Commonwealth Scholarship Tenable In The United Kingdom’ for pursuing Master’s & Doctoral degree programme commencing from September/October 2019. The Scholarships are offered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC), the UK for the following Scholarships only:
Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships (for low and middle-income Commonwealth countries) Commonwealth Ph.D. Scholarships (for low and middle-income Commonwealth countries)
The information in respect of the scholarship is available on the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission’s website: Click here.
The Scholarship covers
- economy return international travel
- tuition fee
- adequate maintenance and other allowances.
- Engineering and Technology
- Science (Pure and Applied)
- Humanities and Social Sciences
Candidates are required to apply online at the following portals:
- Ministry of Human Resource Development portal till January 10, 2019, through the following link.
- Commonwealth Scholarship Commission’s Electronic Application System (EAS) by 19.12.2018 by 16:00 (GMT) through the EAS link.
- It is compulsory for the applicant to apply on both the portals before their cut-off dates, failing which would make his/her candidature ineligible.
- Sometimes the link does not open after a click or after copying to the address bar. You are required to type the link in the address bar to go to the link.
No. of Nominations
52 nominations would be made, out of which 13 nominations would be for Ph.D. The specific terms and conditions in respect of Master’s and Ph.D. scholarships are available on the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission’s website.
- The candidates who have received the offer of admission, from any of the university listed with the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission are only eligible to apply. The list of the university may be found at the following link.
- The applicant must be a permanent resident in India.
- The applicant must be available to start his/her academic studies in the UK by the start
of the UK academic year in September/October 2019
- The applicant must NOT be registered for a Ph.D., or an MPhil leading to a Ph.D., at a
UK university or India university or elsewhere before September/October 2019
- The applicant must not be able to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship.
(Candidates are compulsorily required to sign a declaration that they do not have access to sufficient funds to study in the UK).
- Candidates who have already been abroad for studies/training/ specialization either on scholarships or on their own, for a period exceeding six months are eligible to apply if they have been in India for at least two consecutive years as on 10th January 2019 after returning from abroad
- For Master’s course: One should have completed or is expected to complete the Bachelor Degree by October 2019. The academic qualification must have direct and applied relevance to the development theme selected by the candidate.
- For Ph.D. degree: One should have completed or is expected to complete the Master Degree/Qualifying Exam, by October 2019. The academic qualification must have direct and applied relevance to the development theme selected by the candidate.
Level of Courses
- Master’s Course (one year)
(Note: Master Degree programs which are less than 2 years in duration, are not equivalent to Master Degree in India.)
- Doctoral degree (up to three/four years’ duration)
The scholarship would be offered under following development themes and the candidates who have taken admission in UK university must apply under one of the themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security, and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion, and opportunity.
Selection and Nomination
- The candidates who have received an offer of admission from any participating universities must upload a copy of the same on the Ministry’s portal at the time of online application, failing which their candidature will not be considered.
- The system would automatically generate the subject/theme wise list of students along with the name of the University.
- In case, there is a number of students than the available nominations, in that scenario, a ranking of the institution as per the ‘QS Ranking 2019’ would be taken to draw the merit list.
The CSC is committed to administering and managing its scholarships and fellowships in a fair and transparent manner. For further information, see the CSC anti-fraud policy and the DFID guidance on reporting fraud available on CSC’s website.
- Candidates who do not possess the eligibility criteria need not apply.
- Canvassing in any form will be a disqualification.
- It is very important that applicants who are in employment to which they wish to return after completion of their studies in the UK should have an assurance from their organization that on the final selection by the CSC, they will be granted sufficient leave to complete the study. In general, a candidate undertaking research for a Ph.D. can be expected to need 36/48 months’ study in the United Kingdom even though in the first instance, the award will only be offered for one or two years.
- All announcements will be made available on the website of the Ministry of Human Resource
- Development i.e. www.mhrd.gov.in/scholarships.
- The nominated candidates will be informed through e-mail and public notice on the Ministry’s website.
Under Secretary (Scholarship) at MHRD
If you have a technical query regarding the online application system, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For official notification, visit here.