The Central Institute of Classical Tamil under its scheme of The Presidential Awards for Classical Tamil proposes to honour eminent scholars having to their credit outstanding contribution to Classical Tamil by conferring different awards for which nominations are invited.
- Tholkappiyar Award (includes a certificate of honour, a memento and a one-time cash of Rs.5 lakhs) – one award for each year for Indian nationals.
- Kural Peedam Award (includes a certificate of honour, a memento and a one-time cash of Rs.5 lakhs) – two awards for each year, one for Foreigner and another for Non-Resident Indian.
- Young Scholar Award (includes a certificate of honour, a memento and a one-time cash award of Rs.1 lakh) – five awards for each year for young scholars in the age group of 30-40 years age should be between 30 and 40 years as on the last date of receipt of nominations for Indian nationals.
- Published works of academic excellence in different fields relating to the Classical phase of Tamil (upto 600 A.D.) shall be considered for the awards. The works published in the fields of grammar, literature, translation, fine arts, architecture, archaeology, epigraphy, numismatics, manuscriptology, culture, etc. shall be eligible.
- A Foreigner is one who possesses a valid and current passport of any country other than India.
- A Non-Resident Indian is one who is resident of a country other than India but has an Indian passport, or one who was once an Indian citizen but has subsequently got citizenship of another country.
- Eligible candidates may be nominated by individual scholars, or Heads of academic institutions.
- No individual scholar shall propose himself/herself for the award.
- Nominations should be sent in hardcopy and softcopy.
How to Apply:
Nominations in the prescribed proforma (given here) may be sent by Post to the Director, Central Institute of Classical Tamil, No. 40, 100 Feet Road, IRT Building, Taramani, Chennai-600 113 on or before 6th July 2019.