Applications are invited for Chanakya Post-Doctoral Fellowship 2022 at IIT Tirupati. The last date of application is 20 January.
Applications are invited from eligible Indian nationals for the post of Postdoctoral Fellow in the timebound research project under the Chanakya Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Quantum Technology Scheme of I-Hub Quantum Technology Foundation, Pune undertaken in the Department of Physics, IIT Tirupati.
- Project Title: Development of A Deterministic Single Photon Source for Quantum Networking Applications
- Sponsoring Agency: I-Hub Quantum Technology Foundation, Pune. (Chanakya Post-Doctoral Fellowships in Quantum Technology Scheme)
- Principal Investigator: Dr. Arijit Sharma
Essential Qualification: Ph.D. in Physics or equivalent degree with minimum 75% marks or 7.5 CGPA during Ph.D. (graduate) and/or M.Sc./ M.Tech. coursework.
- Ph.D. in Physics / Electronics / Instrumentation / Optical engineering/Optics/ Laser Spectroscopy/ Photonics/ other related areas. Candidates who have submitted/ defended their Ph.D. thesis and are waiting for a final degree can also apply. Preference shall be given to candidates with an experimental background and training in optics and/or atomic and molecular physics.
- Experience in programming with any one of the following: Python/ Matlab/ Mathematica / VHDL/ Verilog/ LabVIEW/ SolidWorks / COMSOL/ ANSYS/ digital & analog electronics/ optics/ fabrication will be useful.
- Prior demonstrated experience of working in experimental optics and/or experimental atomic and molecular physics.
- Prior demonstrated experience with precision laser spectroscopy/ laser cooling/ ion trapping/ atom trapping and related areas.
- Having at-least two original research papers in SCI and or a peer-reviewed journal.
- Must be willing to work efficiently in a team environment with other students, research and project staff and postdoctoral fellows, selfmotivated, and work under a variety of challenging research conditions.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills.
- Must demonstrate highest work ethics, commitment and dedication to the project.
Age limit: 36 years (Relaxed for exceptional candidates)
Nature of Work
The selected candidate will get an opportunity to work on interdisciplinary areas that are required for setting up the experiment. Some of these are (but not limited to) simulation; designing, fabrication, testing of indigenous instruments in the field of lasers & optics, developing low-noise analog & digital electronics, developing FPGA based systems, ultra-high vacuum, mechanical & software development, ion and atom trapping and so on.
Apart from the development of the experiment, they will have to work on physics problems that are necessary to meet the experimental goals. Developing a complete experiment involves multiple work-packages and developing those requires expertise in interdisciplinary fields. Within a lab, this can be achieved by working in a collaborative manner.
The work shall involve laser cooling and ion trapping techniques applied to Calcium (40Ca+) ions. It will also involve precision laser spectroscopy, experimental quantum optics (cavity qed) and applications of quantum information processing protocols. The final objective is to develop a cavity-qed based deterministic single photon generator for quantum networking applications.
Eligible candidates should submit the following documents as a single pdf file:
- A detailed curriculum vitae (CV) mentioning theoretical, experimental, instrumentation or other working experience,
- List of publications,
- Statement of purpose and
- Two confidential letters of reference
Sent directly by the persons recommending to arijit[at]iittp.ac.in for full consideration on or before 20 January 2022 to Dr. Arijit Sharma, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, IIT Tirupati at arijit[at]iittp.ac.in .
The statement of purpose must include responses to the following questions:
- What motivates you towards pursuing the postdoctoral position? (max. 300 words)
- Describe your research experience in the advertised area. (max. 500 words)
- Briefly explain the tentative research plan by using schematics, figures, flowchart, and relevant
references. (max. 1000 words).
Click here to view the official notification of Chanakya Post-Doctoral Fellowship 2022 at IIT Tirupati.
You may also be interested in: