Advances in digital technologies and online marketplaces continue to open new and more inclusive economic opportunities in developing Asia and the Pacific, offering flexible entry requirements, working arrangements, and income sources. Currently, however, little is empirically known about the costs and benefits of online marketplace growth for women in the region.
ADBI is seeking applied microeconomic research proposals on women and online marketplaces in developing economies in Asia and the Pacific. Proposals that focus on socioeconomically vulnerable women and related developments in specific countries are preferred. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Major barriers to women’s participation in online marketplaces
- The social and economic benefits of women’s participation in online marketplaces
- The unintended consequences of women’s participation in online marketplaces
- The impact of public policies aimed at promoting digital literacy and information technology education among women and young girls.
Proposals must contain four sections, with a length of no more than five pages in aggregate:
- Motivation, including country context and why the proposed research is important for policy makers
- Research question(s)
- Research methods, including the empirical model, data, estimation strategy, and a note on ethics review if primary data collection is planned
- Names of the research team members, their institutional affiliations, and a short biography and publication list for each member; the lead researcher should provide her or his contact details.
Authors should submit their proposals by 15 March 2021 to Junko Mitsuhashi jmitsuhashi[at]adbi.org. Notifications of accepted proposals are expected to be sent on 15 April 2021.
Selection of Proposals
The lead researcher or their affiliated institution will be contracted by ADBI as a consultant or research services provider. An honorarium of $8,000 to $12,000 will be paid upon addressing the following requirements:
- Present initial research results during a related ADBI webinar in October 2021
- Submit a draft full manuscript of no more than 10,000 words, excluding annexes, by 15 October 2021
- Submit a revised final manuscript based on feedback from ADBI by 15 December 2021.
Proposals will be reviewed by ADBI based on the following criteria:
- Significance and contribution to the field
- Track record of the research team members