About the Conference
The Faculty of Economics at the South Asian University is pleased to announce its Sixth International Conference on South Asian Economic Development. We live in a connected world, where prosperity as well as calamities like pandemics spread through interconnections among people and institutions.
The South Asian region, however, presents a study in contrasts. Despite growing at impressive rates over the last decade and a half, it remains one of the least integrated regions of the world with a large untapped potential for development fostered through greater economic and financial integration.
This is despite a common economic history that goes back several millennia. The region is home to the largest concentration of the world’s poor with abysmal levels of access to basic economic and social infrastructure. Being part of a unique university with a mandate of inculcating regional consciousness among the citizens of South Asia, the Faculty of Economics envisions for itself a leading role in understanding the economic challenges and opportunities unique to this region. We believe that a rigorous scientific enquiry is needed for this purpose.
As in the past, we hope that through this conference, we shall provide an effective platform for sharing cutting-edge research on methodological advances, both in economic theory and empirical methods. Our hope is that this shall contribute to a better understanding of South Asian Economic Development.
Call for papers
- Issues in Economic development, with special focus on South Asia, such as:
COVID-19 and impact on South Asian economies
Labour market outcomes in South Asia
Regional and spatial economics pertaining to urbanization in the region
Income and wealth inequality
Issues in agriculture in South Asia
- Macroeconomic theory and policy relevant for the South Asian region.
- Trade and economic integration (including monetary and financial integration) in the SAARC region.
- Banking and financial institutions in South Asia
- Microeconomic and Game theoretic applications in development economics, such as
Mechanism design, industrial organization and information economics
Agent-based models, bounded rationality, learning and heterogeneous interacting agents (with applications in a South Asian context).
- Economics of health and education in South Asia.
- Economic policies and governance, law and economics with special emphasis on the institutional framework in the South Asian region.
- Issues in Environmental and Energy economics with a special focus on South Asia.
- South Asia in contemporary global economy: prospects and challenges
- Conference Submission Deadlines: Full length original research article with 100 word abstract: 30 November 2020
- Decision on papers: latest by 31 December 2020
Conference fee (for paper presentation only): INR 500 per paper.