The Network Rural and Agrarian Studies was established in 2010, motivated by the twin objectives of
- reinvigorating the study of agrarian and rural issues in India’s academic institutions and enabling scholars to engage with a range of pressing issues and ideas
- influencing the pedagogy and curriculum of academic institutions to encompass rural and agrarian issues.
The sixth international conference of the Network of Rural and Agrarian Studies (NRAS) proposes to bring back the issue of the rural commons to the forefront of current debates on the future of agriculture and the transformation of rural India.
This conference seeks to bring together scholars to rethink the relationship between the commons and the rural – spatially, physically, socially, economically, culturally, and even philosophically.
The theme for the sixth international conference of the Network of Rural and Agrarian Studies is ‘Whither Rural Commons? State Policy, Natural Resources, and Agrarian Change.’
Call for Papers
The conference will invite papers on the following themes with an announcement for an open call for papers online:
- Interpreting the Rural-Commons
- Natural resources, Cultural practices: Appropriating the Commons
- Technologies and Markets: Commons as a Political Project
- Rural and Agrarian Change in Western India
- Current Themes in Agrarian Studies
Mentorship and Outreach Workshop
This international conference will be accompanied with the fourth NRAS Mentorship and Outreach Workshop. The mentorship workshop is primarily meant for young researchers who are at are at an early or advanced stage of their PhD work.
- Short introduction of paper between 800-1000 words.
- The introduction should clearly mention the sub-theme of the conference in which the paper fits.
- The write up should clearly mention the methodology, objectives and nature of the study.
- Final papers upto 5000 words with Harvard referencing style.
- For submission, click here.
- Last date for abstract submission: Jul 15
- Selection of abstracts: Jul 30
- Last date for final paper submission: Sep 10
For any queries, email: nrasannualconf@