Female Scientist who is willing to explore their ideas should submit their applications for the Fellowship Program for Women in Climate Change Science 2021 at AIMS-NEI.
About the Fellowship
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is pleased to invite interested female scientists to apply for the third round of the AIMS-NEI Fellowships for Women in Climate Change Science (WiCCS). It seeks to increase women’s participation in, and contribute, to a more sustainable societal response to climate change.
By the end of 2021, 20 fellowships in total would have been awarded to outstanding women working on (i) revealing the triggers of our changing climate; (ii) mapping past, current, and future climate patterns; (iii) increasing our knowledge of the impacts of these climate patterns on humanity and life on earth; (iv) providing recommendations and solutions on how best to adapt, mitigate or increase our resilience to climate change and its associated impacts, etc.
The fellowship is worth up to USD 35,000. The exact amount of the fellowship will be specified at the time of the award. This amount will be paid to the Fellow in three installments in accordance with a schedule that will be defined at the time of the award. Fellows must submit accurate banking details.
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- in possession before the fellowship start date of a doctorate in a quantitative discipline, including but not limited to applied mathematics, climatology, physics, computational chemistry, statistical ecology, computer science, theoretical biology, and engineering;
- currently employed, on either a permanent or a temporary basis, in a non-profit work environment, including government;
- actively engaged in research, policy, and/or practice relevant to climate change modeling, mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience among others; and
- the lead and/or senior author of at least one refereed publication on a topic relevant to climate change modeling, the causative factors of climate change, climate change mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience, etc.
- Applications are invited from outstanding female scientists currently residing anywhere in the world.
All reviews done by the Selection Committee members and other reviewers will be based on the following criteria:
- Quality of applicant: academic qualifications; quality of publications; experience in climate change-related work; real-world impact and recognition of prior work (e.g. through awards).
- Quality of proposed project: relevance to climate change modeling, practice, and policy; strength of connection to the mathematical sciences; experience of the applicant in project topic; quality of project design; feasibility; suitability of proposed host institution environment and of named collaborator; quality and realism of budget projections.
- The potential impact of a proposed project on scientific knowledge, practice, and policy.
How to Apply?
- Interested females candidates can apply through the online application form, click here.
- Alongwith, completed personal details form, including a detailed budget for all non-project-related activities;
- a completed project proposal form, including a detailed budget for all project-related activities;
- a curriculum vitae; and
- an electronic copy of a representative publication in climate change modeling, its causes, climate change mitigation, adaptation, and/or resilience in which the applicant is the lead and/or senior author.
- Supporting documents should be saved as a pdf in the format: “name of the research program_type of_document_ AIMSentity/centre_monthyear of applying_first and last name of the applicant.” For instance, “MS4CR fellowship_application form_AIMS-NEI_July2021_SarahJake”.
July 31, 2021
Click here to view the official notifications for the Fellowship Program for Women in Climate Change Science 2021 at AIMS-NEI