The Beamline for Schools (BL4S) Competition offers high-school students the chance to conduct a real experiment at a real research laboratory. Thanks to six successful editions BL4S has become a very popular science competition that has so far motivated about 10,000 students to learn about particle physics, engineering, and technology. In 2020, the accelerators at CERN are still in scheduled maintenance and upgrade break of two years.
In order to continue BL4S, CERN is collaborating with DESY in Hamburg, Germany. DESY is a world-leading accelerator center and Germany’s national laboratory for particle physics, accelerators, and photon science. It offers particle beams and infrastructure that allow for a very wide range of experiments in particle physics, detector development, and multidisciplinary science
The Beamline for Schools competition remains open to teams of at least five high-school students aged 16 and up with at least one adult coach.
Think of a simple, creative experiment and submit your written proposal and short video by 31 March 2020. Previous winners have investigated the structure of the pyramids, looked for particles that no-one has seen before, or have developed their own particle detector. What would you do?
- All participants receive a certificate. Shortlisted teams win a BL4S T-shirt for each team member, a cosmic-ray detector (CosmicPi) for the school, and – for some – the chance to visit a nearby physics laboratory.
- For the winning teams, nine members and up to two adult coaches per team will be invited, all expenses paid, to DESY for about two weeks to carry out the experiments.
- Prizes are indicative. CERN reserves the right to modify or exchange prizes should it so require.
How to Apply?
To apply online, click here.
- 31 March 2020: Submission Deadline Submit your 1000-word proposal and 1-minute video (both in English only) by midnight CET.
- June 2020: Winners Announcement CERN and DESY announce the winners, who will be invited to DESY, as well as up to 30 shortlisted teams.
- Autumn 2020: Winners conduct their experiment at DESY Exact dates will be defined with the winners.
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org