Call for Research Fellows – Field Studies of Platform-Work
The Centre for Internet Society is inviting applications for three Research Fellow positions to undertake field studies of platform-work in two cities, including Bangalore and another city (to be decided).
The project seeks to produce a comparative understanding of at least two different kinds of platform-work as unfolding across Indian cities. Each fellow will be responsible for one field study (one form of work in one city) based on their language fluency and research experience.
The Research Fellows will be associated with CIS from December 2018 to May 2019, undertake fieldwork, participate in two research workshops, and prepare an Ethnographic Report based on the fieldwork.
The Research Fellow is expected to work part-time (50% of monthly work hours) from December 2018 to May 2019 (6 months), and undertake an ethnographic field-based study of platform-work and platform-workers involved in a specific app-based logistical (say, delivery services) or transportation (say, taxi services) sector.
Eligibility and Application Process
We are seeking applications from individuals who:
- Preferably have a postgraduate degree (current students may also apply) in social sciences, journalism, or legal studies (undergraduate degree-holders with research experience may also apply)
- Are based in the city where the field study is to be undertaken, at least during the duration of the study
- Are fluent in the main regional language(s) spoken in the city where the study will be conducted, and in English (especially, written).
Applicants with previous research and writing experiences on issues related to labour and work, digital or otherwise, will be given preference.
Please send the following documents (in text or PDF formats) to email@example.com by Sunday, November 18 to apply for the Research Fellow positions:
- Brief CV with relevant academic and professional information
- Two samples of academic/professional (published/unpublished) writing by the applicant
- A brief research proposal (not more than 500 words) that should specify the city of study preferred by the applicant , and the sector (either delivery services or taxi services) where platform-work will be studied by the applicant
Each Research Fellow will be paid a remuneration of Rs. 1,50,000 (inclusive of taxes) over three equal installments – 1) on signing of the agreement in December 2018, 2) on completion of fieldwork by end of March 2019, and 3) on submission of complete draft ethnographic report by end of May 2019.
For official notification, click here.