The Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India invites proposals from prospective principal ivestigators for “HPC Applications Development” and “R&D leading to Exascale computing”.
The Department of Science and Technology (DST) is a department within the Ministry of Science and Technology in India. It was established in May 1971 to promote new areas of science and technology and to play the role of a nodal department for organizing, coordinating, and promoting Scientific and Technological activities in the country. It gives funds to various approved scientific projects in India. It also supports various researchers in India to attend conferences abroad and to go for experimental works.
The Department of Science and Technology (DST) in collaboration with the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeITy) has been implementing the National Supercomputing Mission project with the aim of ensuring country’s leadership in supercomputing.
In order to harness the vast supercomputing computing resources provided under NSM, to develop applications to tackle a broad spectrum nationally relevant and internationally competitive problems of unprecedented complexity working at peta and exascale and also to take the nation to the exascale era, it has been decided to initiate R &D projects across the country.This is the call for proposal on “HPC Applications Development” and “R&D leading to Exascale computing”.
The focus would be on but not limited:
- to build capabilities to tackle problems that are currently out of reach either for want of newer physics or newer algorithms.
- to focus on the use of machine learning and large scale data analytics at exascale level.
- to develop new programming models that scale well at exascale architectures
- to develop popular application packages at peta and exscale level.
- to build newer class of processor architecture and interconnects.
The R&D activities/ project proposals that are sought through this call would be broadly in the areas of
- HPC Applications
- Scalable Algorithms and Libraries
- HPC System Software and Data Management
- Hardware System Architecture
- Enabling Technologies
- Data Centre Infrastructure
- Cross-cutting issues spanning across the above.
The projects should be broadly of two categories.
- Applications Development
- R&D proposals leading to Exascale computing
- The research grant is provided for Salaries, Travel support, Consumables and other costs and Supercomputer usage charges. The charges are mentioned in the proposal format link below.
- Note: No assets including computational hardware or software can be created under this project.
- The project support is for a maximum of two years.
All institutions who are eligible for DST/ SERB Funding can apply.
How to Apply?
To download the application form, click here.
The proposal in pdf format must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The selection will be based on the recommendations of an Expert committee. The last date to submit your proposal is November 15, 2020.
For full notification, click the link below.