Proposals are invited online for consideration of support under the Scheme “Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure (FIST)” of the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India. The Scheme is intended to provide basic infrastructure and enabling facilities for promoting R&D activities in new and emerging areas and attracting fresh talents in universities & other educational institutions.
It is considered as complimentary support for enabling Departments/ Centres/ Schools/ Colleges to pursue research activities more effectively and efficiently. The current emphasis on the immensely successful FIST programme is for orienting it towards the goal of Atmanirbhar Bharat by providing accessibility of the R&D infrastructure facilities not only for research activities in academic organizations but also for use by the start-ups/ manufacturing industries/ MSMEs. Appropriate mechanisms including use of the FIST facilities through multiple shifts are being encouraged through a public notice to promote optimal utilization of these resources
Nature of Support
The Scheme will provide optimal infrastructure facilities for post-graduate and higher research, such as, renovation of existing laboratory space (no fresh constructions) and cold room, modernization of laboratories involved in PG and higher research, acquisition of essential equipment, up-gradation of existing facilities, networking & computational facilities including software & databases, scientific & technical books (no journals), maintenance & refurbishing of existing and new facilities etc.
The facilities provided under the Program are intended to support the efforts of the Department as a whole or a number of faculty members in the Department. Proposal towards individual R&D support would not be accepted under this Scheme. The synergy and focus of research may preferably be aligned to National Missions/ priorities.
The duration of support for each FIST Project will be for a period not exceeding 5 years.
For University / Degree awarding Academic Institutions, the support will be considered for the ‘Department / School / Center’ as a unit. All Science (including Medical & Agriculture) and Engineering Departments/ Centres having strong PG research programs which have existed for at least 3 years or more in universities and other higher educational institutions recognized or regulated by UGC/ AICTE and/ or MHRD/ State Education Department based, are eligible seeking support under FIST Program. All other agency based academic University/ Institutes are excluded from the scope of FIST support.
For any subsequent cycle of FIST support following an earlier FIST Project at any level, henceforth all such beneficiary Department/ College would be considered for repeat cycle of FIST support at an appropriate level ONLY AFTER A PERIOD OF 10-YEARS FROM THE DATE OF SANCTION OF THE IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING PROJECT. However, all such Department/ Centre/ School already receiving support under FIST Program may ensure submission of all relevant documents towards final settlement and closure of the concerned project after completion of the ongoing project tenure and obtain the ‘Project Completion Certificate’.
Those Departments that have completed 2 cycles of support in any particular level i.e., Level 1 or Level 2 and which would be not eligible in normal way to next higher level after 2 cycles of support may be considered for support (subject to completion of 10 years from the date of sanction of the 2nd FIST Project), only for research, with the maximum quantum equal to 50% of upper limit of support in any given category as an upper limit in 3rd cycle of support (i.e., an upper limit of Rs 1.5 crore in Level 1 and Rs 2.5 crores in Level 2 for research purposes only).
For College, the support to ‘College as a whole’ shall be considered for the post-graduate S&T departments only and not for other Departments i.e., Humanities, Management, Commerce etc. Further eligibility parameters and criteria for considering a proposal for support under FIST Program are based on the type of support and are provided, subsequently.
Type of Support
- Level-0: Proposals from active PG Colleges (Govt./ Govt. aided/ Private) (having eligibility as specified for Level-0) shall be considered for a maximum support of up to Rs. 1.50 crores for establishing research facilities for the S & T for 5 years duration.
- Level-1: Proposals from relatively small but active post-graduate S&T Department from different Universities (having eligibility as specified for Level-1) and degree awarding academic Institutions requiring moderate funding for improving quality of research. The support would be up to Rs 3.0 crores for 5 years duration for augmentation of research facilities to a Department/ School/ Centre.
- Level-2: Proposals from well-established S&T Department from State/ Central Universities and degree awarding academic Institutions (having eligibility as specified for Level-2) with high repute requiring substantial funding (upper limit – Rs.5.0 crores for 5 years duration) for acquiring state-of-the-art equipment & setting up laboratories for conducting internationally competitive research.
- Level-3: Proposals from well established, internationally competitive S&T Department from State/ Central Universities and degree awarding academic Institutions (having eligibility as specified for Level3). The upper limit of funding support would be Rs 10.0 crores for 5 years duration) for acquiring only state-of-the-art very sophisticated equipment/ facilities.
- Interested one can submit the proposal via this page.
- Online Application must be submitted by 06th September, 2021
Dr Arindam Bhattacharyya
Email id: a.bhattacharyya[at]nic.in
Click here to view the official notification of Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure FIST 2021 by DST.
You may also be interested in:
- Call for Proposals: Development of Electric Vehicles (EVs) Sub-Systems by Govt of India: Submit by Sep 5