ANDE has run Catalyst and Challenge Funds since 2009 to fuel initiatives poised to improve the capacity of organizations within the small and growing business (SGB) sector. The 2019 Advancing Women’s Empowerment Fund (AWEF) will provide grant capital to test models for increasing investment into women-led SGBs in emerging markets.
Women-Led SGBs or Women-Led Businesses are defined by ANDE for the Advancing Women’s Empowerment Fund as companies that have a woman in a leadership position with strategic decisionmaking authority and meet at least one of the following criteria with a focus on companies founded and led by all-women teams from the local context:
- Founded by a team of at least 50% ofwomen
- Have a woman currently serving in a top leadership role (CEO, Executive Director, COO, etc.)
- 51% or more women ownership
ANDE seeks proposals to pilot, test, or expand scalable solutions that tackle the financing gap for women-led SGBs in South and Southeast Asia to create learnings and insights for uptake by the broader SGB sector. We encourage submissions employing creative solutions to the financing gap that fit any of the following categories:
- More gender transformative approaches to delivering acceleration services including recruitment, selection, cohort and program design or other elements seen as constraints to the success of women entrepreneurs.
- Supplemental services delivered independently or in coordination with traditional accelerator programs including tailored consulting services, mentorship or other approaches to address gender deficits in traditional acceleration.
- Novel approaches to addressing systemic constraints that result in less investment being received by women entrepreneurs.
- Initiatives that support informal enterprises converting to formal enterprises.
ANDE intends to support a minimum of eight proposals for this round, from a total funding pool of $1.2 million. The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Visa Foundation have provided the capital for this round of funding.
- Interested candidates can submit their proposals by clicking here.
- The last date to submit the proposals by January 8, 2020.
Email ID: Carlson.Giddings@aspeninstitute.org