India faces a challenge of managing about 30 million cases of brain disorders every year,excluding the neuro-infections and traumatic injuries. Currently, the situation is more serious in the younger generation and therefore, the diagnosis and treatment of the brain disorders arising out of genetics, psychology and pathological conditions is a huge task and extremely challenging.
Department of Biotechnology is announcing this Call for Proposal for developing the Neurological tools, techniques and protocolsfor benefitting the Indian population through biotechnology based innovations. This Call is open to Scientists/Faculties, Clinicians, Engineers, Computer scientists and Biotechnologists or a team involving some or all of them.
The development of neuro tools, techniquesand protocols may be facilitated through the following mechanisms and their rigour can be enhanced through the development of relevant protocols and tools –
- Improved understanding of directed motor movement and of cognitive function from neuronal activity and relating these to brain/neuronal pathology
- Development of predictive neural models especially rehabilitation tools for cognitive impairment, artificial cognitive systems, computing platforms and neuromimetic computers
- Creation of mobile based/assistedvisualization tools and developing affordable, mobile & advanced imaging techniques for understanding the brain activities in general, as well as the sequence of events for brain disorders and pathological conditions
- Development of implants and robotic devices for either mitigation or significant improvement of neurological disorders including peripheral nervous system disorders especially the motor neuron related disorders
- Development of protocols techniques and tools for decoding signals received or sent by the brain and brain stimulants especially non-invasive in nature.
Who can apply?
Any Indian National holding a regular position in any Indian academic institution may apply.
Electronic copy of a proposalneeds tobe submitted through DBT’s online proposal submission system (http://dbtepromis.nic.in/login.aspx).Soft copies of a proposal submitted on or before 31stMarch’2021 will only be considered. Hard copy (1) of an online submitted proposal (with supporting supplementary material) duly endorsed by Head of the institution may reach toDr. Rajneesh K. Gaur.
The following may be noted –
- Incomplete or wrongly filled up application format or application with lack of essential information/ documents will be summarily rejected.
- Proposal submitted through e-mail will not be entertained.
Once the proposal is recommended for support the following documents must be submitted –
- Declaration/Certificate from the Head of the institution
- Applicable clearances of the Institutional Biosafety Committee, Certificate for Animal Ethics Committee, Institutional Ethics Committee etc.
- Project must be submitted through online project management utility i.e. eProMIS, via email along with a single duly signed hard copy of the original proposal.
- Each investigator has to follow the ‘National Biodiversity Act (2002)’
- Applicant has to submit a declaration certificate duly endorsed by the Institution that to the best of their knowledge, their submission is original and does not violate or misappropriate any third party trade secret, “know-how,” copyright, patent or other intellectual property right. Applicant also warrant and represent that there are no obligations of any nature, legal or otherwise, which would prohibit, restrict, or interfere with their participation in the call or submission of their design report, and agree to obtain any necessary clearances, authorizations and/or approvals prior to participation
Any other clearance applicable in the process.
Dr. Rajneesh K. Gaur,
Scientist ‘E’, Department of Biotechnology, 814, Block-2, CGO complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi-110003.