FINISH (Financial Inclusion Improves Sanitation & Health) Mondial is an ambitious, 6-country WASH programme aiming to substantially scale up the access and use of safe sanitation in Africa and Asia. FINISH started in India (2009) with the aim of building a local system to deliver sanitation services on a large scale.
The FINISH approach ensures that people are aware of the need for a safe and durable toilet, people want to buy one, it is built and safely managed by local people and furthermore, is affordable. This is achieved by a combined effort of four key actors in the Diamond Model domains who jointly work towards the development of local sanitation markets for inclusive, sustainable scale.
To date, FINISH Mondial has constructed over 1 million toilets (and counting!), providing access to safe sanitation for well over 5 million people. This contest is based on the premise that amongst other factors, lack of sanitation coverage (in rural populations of developing countries), is due to lack of innovation on cost reductions, to make them more accessible to the masses.
We invite you to rise to the challenge and propose an ‘innovation’ in one or more of the components of an onsite sanitation system to facilitate the installation and usage of toilets in developing countries, preferable in one the FINISH Mondial countries (India, Bangladesh, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania & Ethiopia).
Why this sanitation challenge?
This contest is based on one of the key fundamentals of the FINISH programme: the need to reduce costs of sanitation systems. The design is targeted to incrementally lower the cost of sanitation systems. We are NOT looking for big technology breakthroughs, but small improvements in existing designs that can reduce the cost of construction or at the same cost, improve its usefulness and client satisfaction.
What are we looking for?
A sanitation system comprises a super-structure (the “house”), a meso-structure (slab/pan/seat) and a sub-structure. For each of these categories the solution may apply. As part of the competition, technical designs, instrumentation, graphic presentation and bill of quantities of different solutions will be part of the competition package. We are looking for ‘cost reduction in sanitation’ in one or more of the three following elements: (1) Super-structure; (2) Meso-structure; (3) Sub-structure.
- A detailed design that best explains your ideas. This could be in the form of technical drawings, 3D virtual models, sketches presented in the form of jpg, pdf, jpgs, mov or other widely used format. Please save the file under the name “Last Name_Design_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- A detailed calculation of the cost saved. Please save the file under the name “Last Name_Cost_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- The list of assumptions – of location, whom it is meant for, soil and weather conditions. Please save the file under the name “Last Name_Assumptions_Sanitation Challenge 2020”
- Send files to email@example.com or submit your solution here!
- First prize: € 3,000 + actual implementation of your solution in one of the FINISH Mondial countries (other than the country you have first worked out the solution).
- Second prize: € 2,000
- Third prize: € 1,000
- Last date of submission: 5 June 2020
- Announcement of Winners: 30 June 2020