About the Programme
The Newton-Bhabha Fund is offering the opportunity for UK and Indian PhD scholars to spend a period of their study (up to two to four months) in Indian and UK higher education institutions, to take place between April 2021 and December 2021.
On behalf of the Department for Business Energy & Industrial Strategy, United Kingdom (UK) and the Ministry of Science and Technology, India, British Council India, the Department of Science and Technology (DST), the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) are pleased to invite applications for funding to support short-term PhD placements between UK and Indian institutions.
Aim of the Programme
The programme is envisaged to:
- Develop individual capacity through international training and development opportunities.
- Increase the number of highly trained researchers in the UK and India with international experience, able to contribute to the absorptive capacity for research and innovation and thus bring about economic and social benefits.
- Build cultural understanding and foster long-term sustainable research collaborations.
- Develop international joint training pathways.
- Increase awareness of the research strengths of the UK and India.
In India, the scheme is open only for Indian PhD scholars enrolled at Indian higher education institutions with the following criteria:
- INSPIRE PhD Senior Research Fellows (SRFs) of Batch 2017 are eligible to apply for a STEM and Life Sciences subjects.
- PhD Scholar (other than INSPIRE Fellows) pursuing PhD in the mid-second or third year of Life Sciences are eligible to apply.
- ICSSR Doctoral Fellows or registered PhD scholars (full time) studying in the second or third year of PhD in Social Sciences are eligible to apply.
- Visa fee, economy class international airfares and overseas travel insurance for PhD scholars.
- In-country costs including accommodation and stipend for PhD scholars.
- Bench fees (if applied for) by UK host university.
How to Apply?
Interested can apply for the programme through this link.
- Deadline for receipt of applications: 16 August 2020 16:00, hrs UK time (20.30 hrs India time)
- Results announcement: November 2020
- Placements to take place between: April 2021 to December 2021
For British Council India: Purti Kohli (Purti.firstname.lastname@example.org)
For DST: Tamana Arora (email@example.com)
For full notification, click the link below.