Applications are now open for the British Council Future News Worldwide Program 2021.
The Future News Worldwide is a partnership program between the British Council and some of the world’s leading media organizations. The aim is to support young people to develop a wide range of journalism skills and to establish the UK as a global leader in the nurturing of young journalists and media figures.
Each year they bring together 100 of the world’s most talented, motivated, and passionate student journalists to attend an intensive media training program. Participants receive exclusive coaching from world-leading editors, broadcasters, writers and reporters, and see how publishers around the world are using technology to find stories and bring them to life like never before.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s Future News Worldwide conference will again be online. 2021’s theme is ‘Climate, COVID-19 and the rise of disinformation: how journalism can best serve a world in crisis’.
This is a journalism competition operated by the British Council to select delegates for the Future News Worldwide 2021 online conference, taking place on 14 (afternoon, GMT) and 15 (morning, GMT) July 2021 (the “Conference”). The conference program will be repeated on both dates.
This includes the following:
- Attendance at the online Future News Worldwide 2021 conference.
- Inclusion in the Future News Worldwide alumni network with over 400 members.
The Competition is open to individuals of any nationality who meet all the criteria below:
- Aged 18-25 on 1 July 2021.
- A registered undergraduate or postgraduate student (of any subject), enrolled at a university or higher education institution OR a recent graduate who completed their course after 1 July 2019.
- A native speaker of English OR able to speak English at IELTS level 6.5 or equivalent.
- No previous participation in the in-person Future NEWS or Future News Worldwide conference in Edinburgh or London.
- NB: Those who applied for the 2020 conference should have received a message to their registered email address they used when applying last year.
- Dedicated to a career in journalism in any form.
- Available to attend the online conference on either 14 or 15 July 2021.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- Entry to the Competition is free of charge, although participants are responsible for any costs incurred connecting to the internet.
The opening date of the Competition is 4 May and the closing date is noon GMT on 8 June 2021. Each winning participant will be notified by 6 July 2021.
How to Apply?
To apply online, click here. The last date to apply is June 8, 2021.
For full notification, click the link below.