The Black Taj Mahal is a legendary black marble mausoleum that was planned to be built across the Yamuna River directly opposite the Taj Mahal.
In 2009, when the pool of Mehtab Bagh (a garden complex that lies north of the Taj across the river) was re-created for historical studies it showed the Black Taj in reflection clearly. Does this imply that Shah Jahan already pinned the location himself when he was planning the original Taj?
Considering the present, an opportunity is given for an open interpretation of the space by aligning it with our theme “TIME TWIST”. The brief has been set up to identify what could have been there, what should be there or what can be the future of it.
UNFUSE intends to explore innovative solutions, find better alternatives to conventional thoughts and stimulate the field of design through the means of our organization and public platform.
Click here to know more about the theme.
What does the competition concerns?
- The competition is for radical ideas that satisfy these criteria with one unified outcome.
- Design decisions that are brave, yet informed.
- Unconventional, but which make sense.
- A string that weaves through all the tiny pieces. Traditional outcomes are accepted but the design is expected to rejuvenate Taj as well as Mughal history, and extends it further with ease through the coming centuries.
Who can participate?
UNFUSE is aimed primarily for architects and students of architecture, but other designers in similar professions all around the world are encouraged to participate.
The call extends to the professionals and students in humanities, design, landscape, urbanism, history, architecture and arts.
The outcomes are expected in two DIN – A1 presentation boards in digital format. (Jpeg – PDF). Hand rendered as well as use of digital mediums are allowed. The use of parallel projections is advised to theme the drawings, like the paintings made in the era of the Taj. If abstractions are a part in contributing to the design they are expected to be laid clearly in the process, with the help of visual or verbal medium.
All the participants are required to submit the questionnaire along with the boards. The format of the questionnaire sheet has to be kept intact. If required participants may add more FAQs to explain their project in detail.
- Launch of competition: 20th May 2017
- Early Registration Fee $20: Upto 30th July 2017
- Standard Registration Fee $30: Upto 15th September 2017
- Late Registration Fee $40: Upto 15th October 2017
- Last date for Submission of Entries: 20th October 2017 12:00PM GMT
- Result Declaration: 31st December 2017
To register, click here.
Either you can mail them directly on firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your query on this page.
To visit the official page, click here.