About the Grants
The California Academy of Sciences’ BigPicture Natural World Photography Competition is launching a grant for emerging photographers, aged 18-25, to support the creation of photographic images around the themes of conservation, science and sustainability of the natural world.
BigPicture’s goal is to encourage young photographers with fresh approaches to this topic to present their views in photographs through a final Project.
- Open to all photographers ages 18–25 worldwide, except employees, volunteers and Board Members of the Academy (as well as their sponsors) and the immediate families and individuals living in the same household as such employees, volunteers and Board Members.
- The Academy reserves the right to verify, in its sole judgment, Entrant eligibility. The BPPC is void where prohibited.
- 50% based on visual aesthetic and technical proficiency as demonstrated in the portfolio
- 25% based on originality of the Project (your vision)
- 25% potential impact of the Project
How to Apply?
Interested applicants can apply through this link.
- A short multimedia piece set around the theme of conservation, science and sustainability of the natural world.
- The basis of the piece should be visual imagery in the form of photography or video.
- Final deliverable is due on May 1, 2021 and can be a series of 8–12 images, OR a curated/composed slideshow or video that is at least one minute and no more than three minutes in length. These may include animation, graphics, audio, and/or text.
- March 15 – May 31, 2020: Applications accepted
- June 2020: BigPicture team determines and notifies two Grant Recipients
- July 30, 2020: Grant Recipients announced at the BigPicture Natural World Photography Awards Ceremony
- May 1, 2021: Final Projects from two Grant Recipients due
- July 2021: Grant Recipients’ final Projects displayed in 2021 BigPicture Exhibit